Texas tune for West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I don't care who ya are or where you're from, that's talent. Reminds me of when I saw Johnny Gimble and his band at Armadillo World Headquarters in Austin in the 70's.

Any of you Texas boys remember that place?

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's the first time I saw folks dancin the Watusi to Country (cowboy) music.

And what the heck is with those drivers driving on the wrong side of the road. This forum is an amazing cultural experience.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where Austin City Limits is filmed, not Armadillo World Headquarters I think. Armadillo World was a pretty big place, close to Barton Springs just off Riverside. ACL looks like it's filmed in a much smaller venue. I suppose it's possible that it is filmed in a small portion of AWH, but I don't think that place is still open, not even sure of that though. I haven't been down there in years. When I was in my late teens and 20's, I spent a lot of time down there. Serious party town with Texas University down there and all! I'm an Aggie fan myself.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[img:475:378]http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/backstage/images/aclstudio1.jpg[/img] [img:285:219]http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/images/acl-home-logo.gif[/img]

Where and when is Austin City Limits taped?
KLRU typically begins taping new shows in the spring/summer before the season premieres. However, the producers will take advantage of an artist’s touring schedule if it brings a desired act into KLRU’s vicinity.

According to the mythology, Austin City Limits is taped on an Austin hillside above the city. In reality, the show is recorded in a KLRU television studio located on the University of Texas campus. The studio is located on the 6th floor of the U.T. Communications Building B. The famous skyline set, based on a photograph of the city taken from south Austin, debuted in 1982 for Season 7 and has remained the series' backdrop ever since.
The program has occasionally featured shows recorded elsewhere, including at the Austin City Limits Music Festival.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well thank you Jeffrey, where does a Washingtonian like yourself come up with such valuable Texas information?

Thanks,
West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West,

Austin City Limits is one of the few Television Programs I bother to check on.

Jeff