Nightbird and Bluesbird relationship

guildzilla

Reaction score
Although I admit that I'd rather have Coach Kidder's new Nightbird, I got a very nice Westerly Bluesbird P-90 a couple weeks ago. It was my consolation for selling my Les Paul Custom earlier this month. So far I think it is one helleva guitar. I'm delighted.

Naturally, this has ramped up my interest and I suddenly noticed something. Perhaps most of you are way ahead of me, but I'll plod on.

The 90's Bluesbird reissue models appear to have a lot more in common with the Nightbird than with their Bluesbird ancestors. More in common in terms of body shape and (maybe) chamber design.

This especially applies to the '80's Setzer-designed Bluesbirds, which have zilch in common with the 90's reissues. I realize the earlier Bluesbirds had the chambered body, too, but again, the 90's design still suggests to me that the Nightbird was the model they were trying to copy.

Are the body dimensions exactly the same for the Nightbird and 90's reissue Bluesbirds?

Comments? Any comparisons available from folks who played many of these?

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi guildzilla,

Having owned both a Nightbird and a late 1990's Bluesbird I agree with you on the similarity. Hans can probably be more specific on dimensions but they are very similar. From observing the chambering of both guitars from the control access panel they looked alike to me. The Nightbirds have top-of-thin line wood, finish, binding, etc. that is above Bluesbird grade. I would say a Bluesbird is a reincarnation of a Nightbird design in a more affordable package. The Bluesbird also has independent control of each pickup where as the Nightbird uses a common master volume and tone control. The Nightbird I owned had a Spruce top- it was a beautiful guitar. I recall that it was heavier than the late model Bluesbird. I assumed the wood was the discriminator for the weight difference.

matsickma

matsickma

Reaction score
With regards to the Setzer Bluesbird...Certaintly a very different guitar with nothing in common with any of the M-75 or Late model Bluesbirds other than the name. The Setzers Bluesbirds are slab type solid bodies. The also have the longer scale neck (~25 1/2 inch).

I know many of the LTG gang do not find this model particularly attractive. I owned a red one a few years back. Honestly... an excellent playing guitar with great tone out of the 3 EMG single coils. (These models come in at least two different PUP configurations (S/S/S and S/S/HB) Heavy to hold but great to playparticularly if you like the longer scale and the neck extended out farther from the body. The pickups were very hot and could drive the front end of most amps pretty hard to get a nice harmonic rich tone. With the pickups selected to combine the neck + bridge the guitar could sound exactly like Jerry Garcia's guitar on the Terrapin Station album. I am not a Dead Head but I liked that album. I would own of these again.

m