Aristocrat scale length?

ave del noche

Reaction score
I seem to remember reading somewhere that some Aristocrats came with an unusually short scale length (shorter than 24 3/4). Was this something that has a specific date range or were they interspersed? Also, does anyone know what range a 50s Aristocrat in excellent condition would sell for?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ave del noche said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that some Aristocrats came with an unusually short scale length (shorter than 24 3/4). Was this something that has a specific date range or were they interspersed? Also, does anyone know what range a 50s Aristocrat in excellent condition would sell for?

Hello ave del noche,

Are you sure you've read that about an Aristocrat? Maybe somebody was talking about the M-65, which was also available in a 3/4-scale version.

The reissue M-75 that came out at the end of 1967 was catalogued as a 3/4-size body guitar, but it had a regular 24-3/4" scale. Maybe somebody mixed up the information.

So far I've never heard of a 3/4-scale M-75.

As far as the prices for original '50s Aristocrats are concerned, I haven't seen anything original lately for less than $ 2000.00.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

ave del noche

Reaction score
I've also been meaning to ask...Does anyone know if the 50s Aristocrats ever came with a maple top instead of spruce? If so, was it laminate or solid?

ave del noche

Reaction score
6.022x10(23)

It's between him and his god as to whether or not he qualifies as a laminate.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ave del noche said:
I've also been meaning to ask...Does anyone know if the 50s Aristocrats ever came with a maple top instead of spruce? If so, was it laminate or solid?

So far I've seen 2 photos of different Guild Aristocrats from the '50s with a maple top but I have not been able to verify the authenticity of these guitars in person. So, they might exist and if they do I would think they would have laminated tops.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

ave del noche

Reaction score
well, here's another:

[img:426:640]http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL551/2818789/11571543/219149220.jpg[/img]

I think it is legit (minus the bridge, of course), but I had never heard of/seen a maple one before.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ave del noche said:
well, here's another: I think it is legit (minus the bridge, of course), but I had never heard of/seen a maple one before.

Hello ave del noche,

Well it looks more like number 2. Here's a photo of that same guitar before the major overhaul when most of the binding was coming loose.
Even though the guitar looks a lot better now, you can still recognize the similar cracks in the birdseye maple veneer.

[img:531:709]http://www.guitarchives.nl/fotos/MapleAristocrat.jpg[/img]

It looks cool but without actually holding it, I'm not convinced it's legit.
I hope it is though! I like variations like that!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore

ave del noche

Reaction score
Yep, the grain looks exactly the same, and I know that the binding was fixed/replaced. Anything else I could do to verify it without holding it in hand? Also are those actually cracks in the top or just a part of the grain of the wood?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ave del noche said:
Anything else I could do to verify it without holding it in hand? Also are those actually cracks in the top or just a part of the grain of the wood?

Without holding it you probably can do as much as I can from here.
Those cracks are actual cracks but it's just a veneer. It's because the way it was cut and birdseye maple veneer is not really suitable for an arched surface like a guitar top. Works better on a chest of drawers.

Is the person who did the work offering it for sale now?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

ave del noche

Reaction score
Yeah, it's for sale and I was thinking about buying it, but there seem to be an awful lot of questions. I found a regular spruce-topped one, but the guy wants $5k!! I missed out on another that went for $2k about a month ago b/c I dragged my feet.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I remember watching that one on ebay (& there was a thread about it here), but I don't remember how much it actually went for.

jerrymac

Reaction score
ave del noche said:

Mine is 24 3/4". Based on the block logo on the headstock, I believe it's a real early one.

Blackfire

Reaction score
Maple Aristocrat

Here are some pictures of the birdseye maple Aristocrat after restoration. I purchased it on approval after searching for weeks. The only Aristocrats I could find was this maple one and one in Australia signed by John Fogarty with a clear finish on it to protect the signature. It was also missing some knobs. The person who restored this Maple top told me that he acquired it after someone had completely spray painted it black. You can see some of the black paint in the hole cut for the pickups. He refinsihed the entire guitar, glued the binding around the body, and replaced the binding on the neck. He replaced the original wood bridge with a metal bridge that can be tuned. The original bridge was included and appears to be in fine condition. You can see clearly that the maple top is laminated. The cracks are in the top layer of the laminated top. I assume the other wood layers are spruce and maple. I suppose the dark middle layer might be mahogany. The birdseye maple veneer cracked the way it always does, even on furniture. It cracks presumably because it does not expand and contract with the wood underneath it. I feel 99% sure this is the original top. I cannot imagine someone would replace the top of an archtop guitar with a birdseye laminate like this. I find the guitar relatively easy to play. It is not as forgiving and smooth as my Starfire II. The pickup and chambered body results in an awesome tone. I can understand why the blues guys were attracted to this guitar. When I tuned the strings and played the first E7, a chill feeling spread up my spine, as if the devil himself heard the chord. I would appreciate any comments or observations. The guitar appears as well restored as possible. I wanted a player and I can't stand paying for collector's points or name reputation. The only problems with this one now that I noticed was the pickguard is cracked and it really produces a strong laquer smell that I hope will diminish quickly. Does anyone have ideas on the best amp for this guitar?

[img:864:1824]http://www.tolkiencollector.com/apics/aristobig.jpg[/img]