X50 Compared to Gibson (gasp!) ES125

chetmz

Reaction score
I am looking for an old (smaller) archtop and was considering an X-50. I don't see too many of these but there are certainly a lot of ES125's around. Anyone played them both?

Also, is there much difference in sound between the original plastic covered single coil pick-ups in the X-50 and the later metal covered ones?

Finally, am I correct, that the 125 is a bit deeper than the X-50 but the scale length is the same (24 3/4)?

By the way, I bought Hans' book and as everyone has said, it is a great guide for this sort of information. Those gorgeous pictures make you want to go out and get one of each!!

guildzilla

Reaction score
I'm not an expert on either and I've never played an X-50.

But I'm a fan of the ES-125 because they tend to be terrific players. Fewer frills but all the essentials of higher priced Gibson models, ES-150, ES-175, etc.

Also, as per similarity with the X-50, the comparison depends somewhat on the type of body on the Gibson. The original ES-125 is a full-depth archtop, whereas the ES-125 T is a thinner body.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Can't speak ti the Gibson, or to pickup differences, but I can tell you that the X-50 is very nifty little guitar. I had and sold a '56 a while ago - my more accomplished swing/jazz player friends were extremely disappointed when it left. I actually thought they liked ME a little, but it turned out that the X-50 was really the attraction.

24 3/4" scale, fast neck, very comfortable body, and the Franz pickup on mine gave it a great sound. I loved it.

Reaction score
Both great guitars, though with slightly different personalities. The pre-56 NY-made X-50s (like the very overpriced one that's been on ebay several times lately) are long scale like other early Guilds, but most you'll find will be the same scale as a Gibson ES. I especially like the NY Guilds for their long scale -- a little more tension, excellent intonation, and I like the way it emphasizes the upper harmonic character. These earlier Guilds are also more likely to have a bigger neck, although every one is different.

The other big difference is between Gibson P90s and the Franz soapbars used on Guilds throughout the 50s. In comparison, a P90 is fatter and denser in the mids, and the Franz has a more aggressive bite that is sort of between a P90 and a DeArmond Dynasonic. Both are great. The various single coils used on the X-50 in the 60s are different, and generally brighter and thinner (though I don't have much personal experience with them).

So -- both terrific guitars and good bargains, but with slightly different personalities.

Reaction score
And, as John says, a guy with the good sense to play an X-50 will always be popular, but you'll never know if it's you or the guitar....

chetmz

Reaction score
As always, great feeback from everyone. Thanks

I tried a '56 ES 125 today and it had the kind of sound that I am looking for but this particuar one needed some real work. Frets are just about gone, a few bad buzzes and other issues so I passed.
I appreciate the thoughts on the X-50. From from your great description, SS, I think I will start lookking look for one with the old Franz pick-up.
I did see that one on ebay where the buyer is looking for a silly amount of money.
Not to hijack my own thread but as I think about it, maybe an old CE100 might also be a possibility. I think those are tougher to find.

guildzilla

Reaction score
Good point, John.

I'd love to have an older Guild archtop. Better yet and in my dreams, I'd like one of each.

I recently sold a '66 ES-120T, kind of a student version of the ES-125T. Had it a long time. Selling it was a GAS funding decision. I'd miss it less if I could find a 40's or 50's ES-125 one of these days.

For the most part, the vintage Gibson stuff on e-Bay is too expensive for my risk/comfort level. The ES-125's are an exception, and you see a lot of them in very good condition for reasonable prices.

The prices are significantly higher for the ones with a cutaway and/or with two pickups.

Anyhow, chetmz, I can relate to your affection for the ES-125.