Buddy Guy cutting loose on a Starfire

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Way to go Wally. A few months ago, I went looking for some Jr on a starfire and couldn't find any. I sure do prefer him on the starfire, though I'd probably like him as much on a Gibbon. It's just that I think his strat tone is way too thin.

Does he now play only strats? I saw a pic of him with a Guild flat top, so I'd sure like to hear him do some acoustic.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hi Darryl - check out amazon.com for CD's of Buddy playing acoustic - also on youtube there a few clips of him on acoustic. Just do a search on Buddy Guy - you'll see lots of cool stuff!

walrus

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'm so incompetent at computers (proof of geezer status). Coastie steered me to a Buddy Guy starfire album, and It's great, but I have to admit that I'd prefer anything to that tinny, screeching strat.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Darryl or Coastie - which album is the "Starfire" album you are talking about? I asked that question above in a post under "miscellaneous". I was thinking "Stone Crazy" since the photo on the cover has a Starfire.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, walrus
l

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
"Reading the Blues" by Junior Wells and Buddy Guy has a pic of a Guild on the cover, but I've lost the CD itself and can't remember for sure, but I think it was acoustic. At any rate, I didn't like it, but I do like "Stone Crazy," which has a startfire 4 or 5 on the cover.

Son Seals' best Guild album might be "Bad Axe." It won some big awards. "Live and Buring" is also one of my faves of Son with Guild. His last (?) CD, on Telarc, has a Guild but imho he's off his game. "Son Seals Live" is great, but as I recall he did it on a Gibbon 335, and there's a Gibbon on the cover. "Deluxe Edition," his best-of, has a a picture of the 335, but most of it was from Guild recordings. His instructional vid was also on the three-turdy-five.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I don't know much or anything reall about Buddy Guy, I'm listening to some of his stuff from his site now.

He's coming to my town in April, anyone been to a show of his recently?

Reviews?