T-100 vs. Starfire

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
As I clicked through Don's Starfire renovation project, I thought to ask the question that's been bugging me for a while. I've never played a Starfire, and I've always wondered how they differ in tone from a T-100. If I recall, a few of the early Starfires were maple, but most are mahogany, while the T-100s have maple tops. I know some rough basics about how tonewoods affect sound differently on tops, but playing the completed guitar is a whole different thing. I've only played T-100s, and I'm also wondering if I'd like the sound of a Starfire better.

Any opinions :?:

dklsplace

Reaction score
jp, I haven't played a T-100, but Hans had mentioned once upon a time that the earliest Starfires used the T-100 bodies that were still on hand.

This is more like comparing apples & bannanas, but my X-150, & M-75 (which is still entirely hollow) are both maple. This first thing that struck me when strumming this Starfire for the first time unplugged is the acoustic qualities. You hear the term "piano like" fairly often when talking about some of the acoustics, but that's the first thing that came to mind with this SF.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have played both, and I have a Starfire - the difference in tone is also affected by the center block the Starfire has. A true hollow body (like the T-100) gives you a more "acoustic" tone.

walrus

dklsplace

Reaction score
walrus said:
I have played both, and I have a Starfire - the difference in tone is also affected by the center block the Starfire has. A true hollow body (like the T-100) gives you a more "acoustic" tone.

Not all Starfires have the center block. My '64 does not. Without consulting the book or asking Hans directly, I'm thinking it was specific models & model years that had the block.

Squawk

Reaction score
My understanding is the same as Walter's. My 1999 SF3 doesn't have the block either.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Starfire IIs and IIIs had no center block, however, the Dearmond Starfire Specials do.

It was my understanding that the maple tops usually have a more transparent sound than mahogany, which tend to have a little richer colorful tone. And of course, they are both supposedly less responsive than the varied spruce tops. I think my T-100 and CE-100 sound better amplified than unplugged. Or at least I can hear more harmonic overtones.

I guess I'm going to have to try a Starfire myself to compare.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct - the Starfire IV (which I have) has the center block. II's and III's don't. My reply only applies to the IV.

My fault for forgetting about the other designs of Starfires!

walrus

guildzilla

Reaction score
The acoustic sound of my mahogany SF III was probably the biggest pleasant surprise I got when it arrived here. I didn't expect it to sound nearly as loud and full as it does. I still play it without an amp more than half the time.

I also very much enjoyed the sound of the Gibson ES-120T I recently sold, which was a maple laminated top. But the Starfire III has a far more powerful voice. It was no comparison.

The SF has the perfect basement room sound. Loud in my space, but it doesn't fill the rest of the house.

Also a good match for voice without a microphone. Sometimes, if you don't have a loud singing voice, a great acoustic can give you too much volume. Especially if you're getting down with a pick.

I'm curious to see if I get more acoustic volume with heavier strings as I've had 10's on it since I got it in October. I have a bridge for unwound G, so I can't go too heavy.

What strings are you guys using on Starfires? Anyone trying heavy top/light bottom sets?