Starfire 4 tails

Stevo

Reaction score
I was looking with some interest at this 97 starfire:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MINT-VINTAGE-1997-GU ... dZViewItem

I wondered if you Starfire owners could tell me when they switched from the harp style tailpieces to the stop tail shown on this one? Was there any change in the design of the cavity block to accomodate this type of tailpiece. I'm guessing that the block extends the full length of the guitar body as in the 335s?

Cheers
Steve

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Howdy, Stevo.

I'm not the expert, but I don't believe there would be too many tonal differences. However, it looks like someone has gone to considerable lengths to make the newer one look more like a 335 than a Starfire. The harp tailpiece should be there, the Kluson tuning machines are out of place, and the pickguard looks more Gibson than Guild. I'd prefer my Guild to look like a Guild.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Mark,

I just saw you here. I have nothing to offer on this thread, and am truly way off here, but I just wanted to tell you that it's been since you first posted your video here at LTG that I've watched your video. I've just watched it for about the fourth time...................................Man, you sure make that 12 sound beautiful!

That all :D

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Stevo,

Those are both primo. Guild starfire 4 went to those stop bar tailpieces in about the early 80s. For somebody with a good ear (which leaves me out) they would hear more sustain with the fixed bridge and stop tail. The bigger buckers are probably less twangy. If the red one is mahogany, it might have more highs.