if you spot some hollow ancient eyes

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Prineheads will understand the subject header...

Went to the old folks home last night, our venue on 2 Thursdays per month is the Alzheimers Unit, but people come from other areas to sing with us as well. We had a full house last night, as well as a full compliment of musicians: 3 guitars, I played the banjo, we had a stand up bass, an awesome fiddler, and one old boy even joined in with his 50 year old Hohner Accordion.

Mostly old hymns and gospel bluegrass last night, and our fiddle player treated us to some solos when I nodded at him (we've been playing together for 30 years) and we also backed him up on a smokin' version of "Orange Blossom Special" :shock:

I think you get an extra measure of grace when you do these kinds of things, because we were right on with our instrumentals and oh, the vocal harmonies :D :D :D

When we were done, one old boy says "I think you guys had as much fun as we did tonight!" He was absolutely right- I'm still smiling :D

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
God bless you, dred, God bless you. My dad's 86 and waiting in one of those places, and for a lot of those people (especially the blind ones)music is the only joy left.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dredster,

Way to go guy................funny how you really do play and sing better when you do that stuff. I'm always so nervous, but after we get started seems like we get on a roll.

Bless ya Dred,
West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
You know, I can't imagine anyone is getting more of a blessing from that gig than me, and all the boys in the band say the same thing.

The guy that showed up with the accordion is probably 80, his wife is in the Alzheimers unit. Now he wants to go with us next week to play at a different place :D And a young mom who is learning to play the 5 string banjo is joining us next week as well, we're going to back her up on a couple songs. She's really stepping out of her comfort zone, but she was encouraged by seeing us play at the Hospice center where she works.

I'm tellin' ya, this stuff is infectuous. We're collecting musicians as we go!

As my good friend and picking partner so aptly observed one day: "It dawned on me that the good Lord didn't give me these talents and these instruments so I could play and sing in my basement forever."

More calls are coming in from Nursing Homes and such. Not sure how many we can handle. I'm also leading music at a couple church services a month. In March, we're going back to Xocempich, Mexico on a mission trip where I'll be team chef and musician, and I'll be leading 400 little Mayan kids in songs at Bible School every afternoon. (On my trusty D-25)

Gee, maybe I should think about doing this stuff full time :roll:

At any rate, I would highly encourage anyone who's thinking that they're not good enough, or that nobody wants to listen to you, or that they would be too nervous: get out there and share what you love to do with others. If you are too nervous to do it yourself, team up with someone you can play along with. I sat in with some folks at first, I just hid behind my Guild for awhile until I gained more confidence.

And that didn't take long, because there's something special about the energy that happens between an appreciative crowd and a musician, it's like saying "sic 'em" to a dog :D

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure if I was inspired or guilted-out by this thread, but because of you Drednut, (oh, and I do blame you.. :D ) I called one of the local nursing homes yesterday and volunteered to play for a few hours.
For the last few years, my wife and I put together Christmas gifts comprised of robes, slippers, personal grooming effects, for about 150 of the residents, but it still seemed a bit impersonal.
It was that darn quote about playing and singing in the basement that did it!
Thanks for the inspiration.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
you go, RussD! And a fine stable full of Guilds you have to caress their ears with, too, I might add. :D Man, I'd love to hear those two 65's in harmony.

Interestingly, we went to a new place the other night, another Alzheimers unit as it turned out. We set up in the dining room and they wheeled in the majority of the residents. Now, I used to do Fire Alarm inspections mandated by the State, so I've been in a slew of nursing facilities and the likes. These folks were like all the rest, mostly slumped down in their wheelchairs, distant looks on their faces, no response when you say hello, etc.

By the time we were 1/2 way through our hour of music, many of these same folks were smiling, singing along, and even providing some percussion with a bag of little percussion thingies that we hand out.

Anyone would have a real hard time convincing me that this isn't some of the best therapy available for them. We hear it from the staff, nothing brings them around like the music :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dred,

The inspiration you provide and your enthusiasm seem to be contagous.......way to go Russ.

West

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
Boy, was that a hoot! Played a couple of hours in a wing of a local nursing home yesterday; it's a very appreciative audience that could not have cared less if a verse got forgotten or repeated once in a while.

No amp, no mics, no PA, just me and the jf-65. Played a bunch of originals and several that folks could clap and sing along with. Rewarding stuff; almost everyone thanked me personally and asked when I could come back. I said "Next week."

Thanks for the inspiration guys!

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
Played the home again today!
One of the nurses walked by and commented on how many folks had gathered; I said there was nothing on TV for them to watch.
She said, "You're better lookin' than the TV."

So, does that mean I'm not square and fat?
Or just that I look better than I play? :D :D :D

One more time, guys, thanks for the quote and the inspiration.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
oldtv.jpg

Nurses hitting on you huh?

Nice going Russ!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Way to be, Russ! Sounds like you're hooked already :D

People have been encouraging me to do this full time :?

Stay tuned...

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stopped in at the home this mornign to check in on Jerry, apparently he had just take some of his meds & was sleeping like a log.

I picked on the D 25 for a half hour & spent some time in the Day Room with one of Red's patients. George, 88 years old, he & his wife got clobbered in an auto accident close to home,, East Glacier, Montana, both hurt pretty badly. His wife ended up in a facility Spokane & they haven't seen each other in months. .

Anyway, he tells me the story of him buying his wife a Martin Tenor guitar for 300 ? new back in the 50's & how she wanted a bigger on so he bought her the next size up, Both of them still back at the house in East Glacier.