M80 bridge question (again)

SledDawg

Reaction score
I posted this to the tech section, but wondered if anybody else had any comments? sorry for repetition....

A friend of mine has a 1976 M80 that I am putting back together for him. Serial number is 138378. He never plays it, and I hope to buy it from him in the future.

It's a very interesting guitar: it's white/cream that's faded to a yellowish cream that seems to be a factory custom color. The entire guitar is this color, including the neck and headstock. The Guild logo is black, and the G trim inlay on headstock is overpainted with the cream/white: you can see it under the paint. Anyone ever seen one of these before?

So, I've been cleaning and setting it up, and I'm at the point of doing the intonation. I had to disassemble and clean up the Muller bridge: wow, talk about a lot of "fiddly bits"!

I did keep track of what rollers went where, since the groove widths differ, but I may have confused a couple of the springs. One of them is much shorter than the others, and one is much longer than the others. Looking at the pictures of set-ups in Hans' book, I think the short one goes on the low E, and the long one on the D. Correct?

Any advice/tricks on setting up these bridges?

I will post some pics of this guitar and a couple of other interesting Guilds when I get it put together.

Thanks in advance for help and advice!

ave del noche

Reaction score
You've got it...the shorter springs usually go on the low E or the G. No real trick in setting up those bridges. Just go about it like you would any tune-o-matic style. It is a little easier to set the spacing while the strings aren't tuned up all the way, however.