Got my eye on a '58 T 100 D

caveman

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I've been dreaming of a nice Franz-equipped hollow body for a while, and I think I got my eye on a good deal now. It's for sale at Sam Ash in New York. Anyone seen or played this guitar ? Think it's a good deal ?
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... em=1607597

It's affordable (in my opinion) too : 1200 USD.

I'm looking forward to your ever clever advice, just hoping none of who this reads rushes out to get it before me, hahaha...

Greets,

Steven

kelvinator60

Reaction score
I love the knobs from that era. You could probably get one for cheaper, but they do no grow on trees. So if you want one now.......... My '63 Starfire is essentially the same guitar with Dearmonds and I love mine. Guild thinlines with single coils are great.

Wish it had a case, you could ask if they would throw one in. A 335 case would probably do the trick. I would want to know if the frets are in good shape and if the bridge has room to be adjusted downward before I went further.

caveman

Reaction score
I had a 63 starfire III too, but with the small humbuckers. Great guitar, not my pickups though. Been looking for something like this ever since to go with my heavily modified 64 SF IV. Thanks for the advice on the bridge, frets and case. I give it another 24 hrs before I cut the cake on this one...

teleharmonium

Reaction score
It might be more like a '60 with that label.

If I were you I'd call them now and ask about the condition and originality to get as much detail as possible. If there's nothing that isn't apparent from the pictures, it is a good deal, and I don't think you want to wait around too long considering it since you've already drawn attention to it here. This place is like a shark tank with a fresh bucket of chum !

I love T100s and my '60 is my main guitar.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Steven, long time no see.

Especially with the current dollar/euro difference, seems like a good deal indeed, if there's nothing wrong with the guitar they're not saying.

Walter

caveman

Reaction score
I'm going for it ! Got myself a case in the deal. Can't wait 'till it gets here. Thanks everybody for the input and advice.

Walter, long time no see indeed ! Hope to see you soon, to show my new guitar...

Anyone a mint condition ES 295 (1997 reissue) ????

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck, Steven!

That guitar is identical to my '59. Although I like the slimmer 60s style necks, I do like the feel of it. Fantastic sounding Franz PUs too. You will not be disappointed, especially at that price.

caveman

Reaction score
Darryl, our sprouts are an aquired taste indeed, but it's the best season for them now, and it makes your visits to the rest room such a breeze ! Get in to it, dude !!

I do not mind a fat neck, maybe that's my Antwerp roots. The rest of the country actually calls us 'fat necks' which basically means 'loudmouth that loves himself too much'.

It's funny how people here react to my 'caveman' name. In real I'm just a clean shaven skinny greaser, just happened to listen to that Cramps song when first loggin' in here...

I'll have a report on the Slim Jim when it gets here, I can hardly wait !

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've played Steven's T-100D today, and it's a great little guitar! Plays well, neck is straight, and it sounds killer. Very nice sunburst too.
It was great seeing you again Steven!

caveman

Reaction score
Thanks Walter, I feel the same ! Great discussing neck angle, microphonics, fretboard condition etc with a connaisseur like you. I just restrung it with 011's and it's coming even more alive now. Can't wait to get it out to gig with... At this rate Belgium is quikly becoming the European Guild Walhalla !