Another couple of newbie questions...

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone replacing things on these types of guitars?

Pickups, bridges, bigsby's, etc.? Is this just something to play with or are these necessary mods?

And what is the purpose of the wheels on the bridges? Obviously, I think, it raises or lowers the bridge, but for what purpose and does that then affect the intonation?

california

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Graham said:
Why is everyone replacing things on these types of guitars?

Because they can. But honestly, since parts are easily interchangable, it is understandable that some folks want to install cooler or warmer sounding pickups, better tuners, etc.

Pickups, bridges, bigsby's, etc.? Is this just something to play with or are these necessary mods? Often players like a certain feel, and different bridges and other accessories can help them attain that. Bigsby's are totally subjective, depends on whether or not you want to make that tremolo sound by stretching all your strings at once. I have two guitars with Bigsbys and never use them, some guys use them all the time.

And what is the purpose of the wheels on the bridges? Obviously, I think, it raises or lowers the bridge, but for what purpose and does that then affect the intonation? They can affect both action and intonation. Some bridges allow you to adjust each string individually.

One thing that I've noticed is that if you find a good, used guitar with no mods, it probably doesn't need them. Also, if you're looking at a modified guitar, make sure that the modifications can be undone without showing drill holes, cutouts and scratches to original wood and finishes.

Graham -- for what its worth, bit by bit, despite the fact that I arrived at LTG a confirmed acoustic guy, my totally unmodified well worn X-175 is becoming my favorite guitar -- LTG can do that kind of thing to you!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Graham said:
Why is everyone replacing things...Pickups, bridges, bigsby's, etc.? Is this just something to play with or are these necessary mods?

I'll answer your question with a question. Why to people replace saddles, bridge pins, nuts & experiment with different strings on acoustic guitars?

Everyone has their own interpretation of good tone, & everyone, whether acoustic or electric, has a particular sound in mind when they shop for guitars. These are all relatively simple, mostly reversible, mods that have the biggest effect on a guitar's tonal response. If you have the guitar that feels like magic in your hands, but doesn't quite get the sound you hear in your head, these are good options.