S-250

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me about these. I'm most curious about Bluesbirds lately, wondering how this model compares. Thanks!

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi mad dog,

The S275 is the premium finish version of the S250 and single pickup model S25. There are some variations in controls between the S250 and S275 with the earlier models having 2 vol + 2 tone controls and later models having 2 vol & a master tone.

These guitars are true solidbodies and share very little in common with the new or older Bluesbirds.

These are excellent guitars from the early 1980's and have a 24 fret neck that is similar to the S300 series of guitars. The neck on these are classic 1970's Guild solidbody. That is they are thin and quick. The other guitar that shares this neck is the 2nd stylel M-80. It probably would have been more appropriated for Guild to call the 2nd style M-80 a S-80. Excellent workmanship on these guitars.

At this time Guild was using their XR7 high-distortion pickup on this series of solid bodies. In reality these were hotter Dimarzio pickup than the beige one's Guild used on the S-300D & AD. Based on their tone they likely use ceramic magnets. Guild would take the Dimarzio pups and machine off the Dimarzio marking on the brass back plate and solder on a two hole pickup adjustment plate to the single ear Dimarzio pickup.

The XR7 PUPs arn't my favorite pickup for my style of playing but if you are playing loud rock and want a "crunch" sound the XR9 are perfect.

My S-275 has a blond maple top and the hardware is gold plated. Beautiful guitar and easy to handle. I have debated with replacing the XR7's with standard Guild humbuckers because the wood of the S275 is very resonant. I think resonance would be accentuated with the Guild standard PUP.

In any event these are great guitars. Also consider the 2nd style M-80. These are also great guitars . They come in two styles: bound top and unbound top. My model is a red unbound maple top instrument with the XR7 PUPs. The XR7 tone match well to the heavy solidbody of the 2nd series M80.

M