Question about BLuesbird Grover Tuners...

G

Unregistered
User deleted by their request
This is my first post here so... Hello to all my fellow Guild lovers :lol:

Can someone tell me if the Cam-Lock Grover tuners are decent quality and are they easy to string? Also, are they a direct replacement item in a 1998 Bluesbird? The Grover tuners on my BB are not as good as I would like so I'm considering replacing them and as long as I'm putting in new ones I may as well use locking ones. I don't want to have to do any mods (no drilling, opening the hole, intstalling bushings, etc.) other than taking the old ones out and putting in the new ones. :roll:

I'm not married to Grovers so if there is some other locking tuner (Schaller, Sperzel, etc.) that is a direct fit that's great also.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey '98.

'99 speaking.

I've fitted locking Grovers to two Guild acoustics and a Maton, without any modifications being necessary.
I cannot see any difference in the Grovers on my Bluesbird.

No problems to report - they hold their tune just fine.

Stewmac have the best prices I've seen for Grovers.

dklsplace

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Stewmac have the best prices I've seen for Grovers.

:? I don't recall ever quoting you a set of Grovers to justify that statement...

dklsplace

Reaction score
Did I sound upset there? I was sort of going for that 'make him go oops' kind of thing. :)

Dirt123

Reaction score
I bought some Planet Waves Auto-trim tuners & put them on my Strat copy. The go for about $70. They hold it in tune & stringing is easy. The only “problem” with them is that they look a bit “high tech” for most Guilds. If you like the Grovers, let us know. I might like to try them on my Starfire.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I have a set of Grover locking tuners on my '64 Starfire & they're great!

dklsplace

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not complete with my setup yet. So far it's really sweet, but I need to experiment with spacers under the bridge pup. The difference in volume/response it a bit too much for my taste at this point.

BTW, Jeff was one of the early members on the old forum. Good to have you back in the fold! I never did complete my LP project...I parted it out & sold most of it when I found the deal on a '71 Bluesbird. One neck set & new bridge later it's an amazing guitar!