Late S100

wright1

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have been lucky to find a S100 reissue here in the UK. It is in white and in very good condition except for a few chips on the top of the head stock and a little cracking of the paint along the fingerboard at the 1st and 2nd frets due to loose binding. Maybe someone can point me in the direction of accurate serial number dating. The serial is in the 800's and all the lists out there stop at 770. Also I have e-mailed Hans Moust about fitting Guild pickups and a type 10 roller bridge but I havn't had a reply yet. Are you out there Hans??
I do like the sound of the Duncan pickups and I could probably live with the Gotoh bridge but I am at a bit of a loss as to why the pickups have nickel covers when the rest of the hardware is chrome. Has anybody fitted Guild covers to these pickups? Any help would be much appreciated.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
wright1 said:
Hello everyone. I have been lucky to find a S100 reissue here in the UK. It is in white and in very good condition except for a few chips on the top of the head stock and a little cracking of the paint along the fingerboard at the 1st and 2nd frets due to loose binding. Maybe someone can point me in the direction of accurate serial number dating. The serial is in the 800's and all the lists out there stop at 770. Also I have e-mailed Hans Moust about fitting Guild pickups and a type 10 roller bridge but I havn't had a reply yet. Are you out there Hans??
I do like the sound of the Duncan pickups and I could probably live with the Gotoh bridge but I am at a bit of a loss as to why the pickups have nickel covers when the rest of the hardware is chrome. Has anybody fitted Guild covers to these pickups? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hello wright1,

Did receive your mesage through my website and I already answered it but it looks like you didn't get my message. No problem, I can do it again here!

First of all, your S-100 is from 1998.
The #10 roller bridge is not interchangable with the Gotoh bridge. The body could be changed to accept the roller bridge but I wouldn't advise it.
I believe the Gotoh bridge is a good bridge.

The nickel covers of the Seymour Duncan pickups do look a bit odd but you can only change them with the covers of Gibson-size humbuckers.
The traditional Guild HB-1 humbucker that was used between 1970 and the end of the '90s is a little larger, so the covers of these will not fit the pickups on your guitar. You could try to find the more recent Fender/Guild humbuckers, which are the same size as the Seymour Duncan pickups, if you like the typical look of the Guild humbucker covers.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

wright1

Reaction score
Hello Hans, Sorry I did not receive your reply. I had suspected everything you have said but was not sure about the size of the humbuckers as there seems to be very little technical detail for Guild and I have not had the chance to measure any HB-1's to see how they compare. At least the Duncans have three point height adjustment like the HB-1's. The Gotoh bridge is solid and does a good job but you know how it is when you have a look in mind for so long.As the guitar sounds and plays so good I am going to leave well alone. Once again thanks for your help.

wright1

Reaction score
Hi, the nickel covers still worried me a little so I thought I would look at the Seymour Duncan web site to see about chrome covers. Chrome is not a option on regular humbuckers. You can have gold or nickel or no cover. That's it! Well that explains it. I have noticed a few odd things about Duncan pickups.

Reaction score
All I know is that I played in a band back in '79-'82 with another guitar player who played an S100 through an Acoustic solid state amp. His tone absolutely ROCKED! I was no slouch either with my Twin and Gibbys (335 and '54 LP and '72 Tele ((POS IMHO)) ), but I was always envious of the tone he got from that S100!

Guilds Rock!!

wright1

Reaction score
Hi Hans, I was curious to see what Duncan had to offer and it had not occured to me that they would not offer a chrome cover on any of their regular humbuckers. Is this Seymours idea of going 'green'. I know that chroming is a dirty business. The Ludwig Drum Co turned a lake into a ecological nightmare by dumping waste from their chroming plant into it(their answer was to move chroming to Taiwan! Yamaha does it's chroming in Thailand and the Chinese just don't care!) but nickel plating is not much different and I can't believe that 'tone' is the reason.There are many chrome cover pickups out there providing more than adequate 'tone'. Anyway, it explains why my pickups are nickel. I was also hoping for a insight into the string spacing but despite their 'better than most' diagrams there was no overall dimension for either the '59 or JB although there was one dimention for pole distance of 0.414 which would give a spacing of 2.07. In reality both pickups have a 1 15/16" pole spacing so I will probably get a pair of covers from Allparts. Do you have any idea of when volume 2 of your Guid book will happen? Doing the second one always seems to take longer when you would think it should be easier but there are so many calls on your time. Thanks again for your help.