More on the M75T ... convert to trapeze tail?

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I'm not totally sold on the "Digsby" set up, wondering if it contributes to what still feels like an overly stiff string feel, action. Also wondering if I'm giving up sustain or tone in this setup.

So, anyone here remove the Digsby from an M75T or 77T? How did the trapeze line up with existing holes? What were the results? Finally, where could I find one of the stock trapeze pieces used on the non-trem models?

Thanks

Michael D

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I read somewhere that the neck angle was changed slightly on the M-77T from the M-75T in order to solve that trem arm problem.

Can any M-77T owners here could testify to that?

I've also read about how some swapped out the spring in the "Digsby" in order to soften the action of the trem arm a little.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It isn't the Digsby action at all. The thing seems to work just fine. It's more a suspicion I have that the string length and path with that setup is making the action stiff. Just as stoptails on ES 335 seem to improve playability somewhat over trapeze, I'm wondering if going to trapeze or even stop/wrap tail on the M75T would make an improvement.

Had it set up, and it did make a significant difference. But I'd like it to be a real easy player, more in the strat/tele zone. Thing is, those pickups sound so fine, I want to having it playing as good as it sounds, so I can use it more.

Reaction score
A quite common problem (probably related to the neck angle already mentioned) is the strings dragging on the rear of the bridge which affects tuning stability, playability etc. I cured it by raising the front of the Digsby with clear flexible plastic spacers. This had an interesting 'extra' benefit: By raising the front of the Digsby, the break angle over the bridge was reduced and playabilty improved dramatically. The whole feel became quite silky. The Digs felt easier to use and returned to tune much more reliably. Before doing this, I, too, was considering dumping the Digs, but now I feel no pressing need to do so. So I'd recommend trying this even if you don't have the 'bridge drag' problem.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
imetjimi:

That's very interesting, sounds worth a try to me. I've seen metal spacers used with bolts, not sure what plastic spacers you mean. Where might I find these? Did this change affect tone and sustain? Thanks so much for your comments.

Reaction score
Metal spacers pose a problem because the Digsby's screws are asymetrical. Ideally you want a spacer that allows a little compression. A simple solution is to get a short length of clear 1/4" plastic tubing. Slice off a couple of 1/4" pieces and a couple a little shorter. The two longer ones go at the front (one with a screw through it, one without). The other two go where the other screw is (one with a screw, one without). Screw the Digs back down just enough to compress the tubing slightly. You might have to adjust your little 'lengths' as your bridge is unlikely to be exactly the same height as mine. But it's easy to slice away 'til you're happy! Just aim the get the front of the Digs up about a 1/4" or so. I used the same screws with no problem, but you might want to consider longer ones.
From loosening the strings to re-tuning took me about 15 minutes. so even if you really take your time it's not going to be a long, arduous task.