Salute The Captain.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh how I love the Captain! There's a great interview with him and David Letterman also on youtube! I still have all my Beefheart Records.

Thanks for the post coastie.

King of the Blues? In Sweden? With socialized medicine, education, child care, great family leave, and 5 weeks vacation, what's to be blue about?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JayPea,

He's from Texas and lives in Phoenix, but he tours Europe every year. And more than the other countriex, Sweden just goes ape. (Or as the Swedes call it, "Going Coastal"). When something gets popular over there, it can get big fast. (They call that "Getting Coastal"). Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water sold over a million there in about its first year, and that's in a country of eight million.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Darryl,

I've seen it in action, but I've never heard that phrase before--interesting.
I lived in Sweden for five years, right when Britney Spears, Destiny's Child, and Christine Aguilera hit big. To top it off, a Swede had produced one of Britney Spears's records. Yikes! I couldn't escape it. There were even 30- and 40-somethings on the radio talking about how great and talented they all were. It was a media whirlwind.

The thing is, as is everywhere, there is some really great music in Sweden that never got any notice. The Bob Dylan revolution never happened to rock and roll there either, so pop music never became gentrified, so to speak--never became very smart lyrically. I was bombarded by American tweenie pop, Swedish hiphop, and Euro-techno dance music. Uggh!

Swedes going nuts over New Zealand = Going Coastie? :D

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jp said:
Hey Darryl,
The thing is, as is everywhere, there is some really great music in Sweden that never got any notice.

Veering slightly left, or South or wherever, Charlie Musselwhite has a great Norwegian guitarist in his current band.

Chris "Kid" Andersen.

Check out sound clips of Charlie's album "Delta Hardware".