Next step on the M75T -- harp tailpiece

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Back at it with this DA guitar. I did raise the Digsby as instructed in my other thread on this subject. Put some wood shims under the Digsby, got it up maybe a quarter inch over stock position. I think it helped playability some. Probably not enough of a change. The angle is still sharp enough that the strings contact the back of the bridge on their way down. Looks like elevating the Digsby further won't solve it. Too much angle. I could just restring, bring the strings over the roller instead of over. Is that a decent option?

My other choice would be to put on a harp tailpiece, the one that came stock on the M75 and M77. Question is, where do I find one. Looked all over, so far no luck. TIA, you folks are helping me out greatly here.

Reaction score
"...I could just restring, bring the strings over the roller instead of over..."

I assume you meant over the bar (at the front) instead of under.

Mine was like that when I got it. It was horrible! To get any break angle the bridge had to be raised so much that the action looked like trolley-car lines!

But...

It's one of those 'costs you nothing to try' ideas. It might work for you. So why not give it a go.

Having said that; I'm surprised a quarter inch at the front of the Digs didn't work. If the strings still touch the bridge, the only reason I can think of is that some Tuneamatic bridges are wider than others. I think the original ABR-1 was the narrower one, but do your own research on that as I'm not sure if I'm right.

Hope someone else knows about 'harp' availability as I've no idea where to find one.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I played my M75T today to see if I could understand the issue your having. In the past I never noticed a problem - and after playing it I still don't see any issues so mybe my guitar is setup a little different.

One of the problems of removing the Digsby is the holes that will remain on the face of the guitar. I assume that is not a concern.

Another option may be to keep a eye out of a DeArmond M-68. That model guitar came with the 2k pickups and a harp stop. They don't show up on ebay often but are around.

Your best chance at getting a harp for your guitar is to buy one from a Guild. You will need the small one that goes with a M65 Freshman or late 1960's model M75 Bluesbird. These pop up on ebay from time-to-time. Also Hans may have a few.

Finding a Dearmond model harp will be pretty tough as only the M75 model will fit.

matsickma

harptailpiece

Reaction score
mad dog said:
My other choice would be to put on a harp tailpiece, the one that came stock on the M75 and M77. Question is, where do I find one. Looked all over, so far no luck. TIA, you folks are helping me out greatly here.

I saw a tailpiece for those models recently, listed on Ebay, a couple of month ago.
That seems obvious to say that, but some interesting stuff is regularly proposed.

harpinator

Reaction score
harp tailpiece for M75T

Mad Dog, I picked up a chrome harp tailpiece off ebay a few years back. Its the smaller size for the M65, M75. Its more in the style of the m75 from the 60s. I say that because I have a 1959 M65 and a 1967 M75. While the size of the tailpieces are identical, the string stops for this chrome one is much like on the 67 M75, and it is hinged. I can't really remember why I got it, except it may have been as a spare or for another 1959 M65 I had with a regular archtop tailpiece. I don't have that guitar any longer, and that tailpiece has been sitting in the bottom of a drawer for several years. I'm not sure if its original or an aftermarket. On the back is stamped "made in Germany". I think there is an identical one on ebay right now. You may want to check that out, or we can talk.