Neil Young at Massey Hall

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Been listening to Neil Young's new CD - Live at Massey Hall from 1971. He introduced songs from Harvest as "new songs", does a few "old ones", and does stuff like merge "A Man Needs A Maid" and "Heart of Gold" into one song - great, great stuff!

This is Neil in his prime, alone and acoustic - no Guilds, but what a great acoustic player and songwriter!

Highly recommended!

walrus

SugarMountain

Reaction score
Yeh stunning record, cant wait for the Archives
I'll let Neil off for the guild thing, that D45 is sweet

in Shakey, he mentions meeting Stills for the first time and Stephen having a 'cheap red Guild', i know Stills had a blonde X-500 in Springfield but i wonder what this red one is

D25 maybe??, or was that too early for them

Perry

Reaction score
That was a 1969 Martin D45 which they just re-introduced in 1969 and CSNY members each bought one. That guitar was only 2 years old when Neil recorded the Massey Hall concert and sounds killer!

Neil does have some older Martins including one of Hank William Sr's D-28, and a 1940's D-18. Stephen Stills has tons of vintage guitars including prewar D-45's, D-28's, Gibson J200's, etc..

Regards,
Perry

The General

Reaction score
I must admit Neil Young is just awesome. From the very first time I saw him in concert back in the late 70's I have always been awestruck by his amazing talent. Entertaining an audience of 20,000 people by himself is a very difficult thing to do and most artist just don't have that talent to go solo like Neil does. He is a master at it and makes it look so easy. I never could understand why he does not get more recognition for what he does. He is definitely one of my favorites.

Great video WestRlee!
I added it to my playlist

Martin 8)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Glad you enjoyed it General. How's that DV52 doing?

Here's some clips from a guy that Fender is attempting to make a Doyle Dykes/ Taylor counterpart.........Guild/Willy Porter. I'm becomming a real fan of his. This guy can sing too. In this first song, his voice reminds me a little of Greg Allman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2p3z1UZ ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i19Lp-RQ ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhbrIUu ... ed&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzIG7WvH ... ed&search=

West

The General

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Glad you enjoyed it General. How's that DV52 doing?

West

The DV 52 is doing very well. Aging nicely. I have put Bone Bridge pins in it and I have changed the strings several times. I had a hard time trying to find a set of strings that I thought really sounded good. I used some D'Addario strings some of which were coated. I didn't like any of them. I eventually went to a music store and asked for some JP Phosphor which they did not have but he gave me some 80/20 Bronze. He told me if I didn't like them to bring them back. They are the best sounding so far. I have spoke with Don about shaping a new saddle for me. I want to bring that action up just a tad and get rid of the shim underneath the saddle. I thought about putting a element pick up in it but have decided to not to at this time. I did put a KK Western underbridge pick up in it but does not really have very good sound output. It might help if I use a preamp. I put the Imix LR Baggs pick-up in my F 50. So if I really want to get loud I can. It sounds really great. I noticed that you have been looking at the F50 which should be just like mine. I a nice guitar! :D

I'll be searching for a D55 next. I did see a really nice guitar in a video that looked like a D55 but was all maple. It was absolutely gorgeous. Hans tells me it might be a D60 which I could not find any D60 anywhere until one just popped up on Ebay. The thing is that it's not a mapleback. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I wish I could get a picture of it but it's on video only and I don't know how to steal a picture from a video. Damm I hate it when that happens! I would download the video and put it on You tube but I don't know how to do that either. My life sucks sometimes! :lol: :lol:

Martin

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The General said:
....I wish I could get a picture of it but it's on video only and I don't know how to steal a picture from a video.
Hi Martin; if you have MS Word or any other software application that will allow you to paste an image on to, and then from, the 'Clipboard' you can do this:

Start the video you want to clip from,
Pause it when the image contains what you want to see,
Hit Shift + Print Screen.

If you are using microsoft, the 'image' you just captured will be copied to the 'Clipboard'. If you open any MS application, you can hit Paste and the image will be pasted into whatever application you have open.

The image comes in in bulky HTML format or MS Word Whopper Dopper Chunky Object Gargantua; not .jpeg. If you don't want a whopper-sized file, You can click the image, hit Cut, and then hit Paste 'Special' - again, this works in the MS environment - it has to be simpler in Mac/Apple. Anyway, when the 'Paste Special' drop-down menu appears, it will give you a choice of file formats to choose from; if you choose .jpeg, the image will come back but in a smaller file - you might not care how large the file is.

The image will contain everything shown on the monitor when you copy it; as such, all the extra stuff around the edges will come in too. If you just want to see the instrument, fine, you have a pic. If you want to crop it, you'll need some kind of photo editor to do it with.

Anyway, the trick is to 'freeze' the image, use the MS Shift+Print Screen, open Word or PowerPoint, and Paste it back.

One last thing: all the images you see on YouTube or nearly any place else on the web are 'Public Domain' and you can reproduce nearly anything you see or can capture provided you don't do so for profit or represent someone else's potentially copyrighted material as your own.

Hope this works; if not and you have an image in a YouTube video you want clipped, PM me with the URL, tell me what you want to see, better, watch the timer on the bottom and tell me what 'time' in the video whatever it is shows up. I can either email it to you or post it via PhotoBucket.

cj

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Martin,

If I'm not mistaken, Guild built a rosewood D60 in the 80's, then in the late 90's, they came out with a maple D60.

West

The General

Reaction score
Re:

capnjuan said:
The General said:
....I wish I could get a picture of it but it's on video only and I don't know how to steal a picture from a video.
Hi Martin; if you have MS Word or any other software application that will allow you to paste an image on to, and then from, the 'Clipboard' you can do this:

Start the video you want to clip from,
Pause it when the image contains what you want to see,
Hit Shift + Print Screen.

Thanks for the tip Capnjuan. Unfortunately I was still not able to get the job done. I was able to save an image to my word doc program. I also tried to save it as a jpeg file through the special paste button as you described. I just was not able to get the file to convert for some reason. I was not able to copy the file to my picture folder. I think because my picture folder does not recognize the file type? The file is to big for me to upload to photobucket. It's about a 13meg file. I'll try to work this out eventually. If you have more info I will try anything once. You are probably right about the apple being easier to work with. Any graphic people I know of uses apple.

Martin

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Re: Re:

The General said:
I was able to save an image to my word doc program.

Good except when saved off, Word treats it as a Word file w/ an embedded MS Object.

I was not able to copy the file to my picture folder. I think because my picture folder does not recognize the file type?

Yes, it's a Word file (.doc), not a .jpeg. Do you have PowerPoint or access to a scanner? If yes to PPT, you can copy/paste from the clipboard using the Print Screen function into PPT. From there, you can Cut / Paste as a Picture. PPT will also allow you to save off a PPT file as a .jpeg (Save As then a drop-down menu). If you have access to a scanner, you can print what you have, scan it, and save it off as a .jpeg.

Any graphic people I know of uses apple.

There are reasons why those people are crazy about their gear. Martin

cj

The General

Reaction score
Well I tried again CJ, But I ran into the same problem. I cant save as a picture file. I do have power point but was not able to convert the file. Maybe there is some digital security rights that wont let me do this. I can print and scan as you suggest. But it wouldn't be as much fun! I also lose quality due to seconded generation image with print and scan. It defeats my main purpose but I thank you for trying. I did learn something. I will continue to sort this kind of problem out so the next time I know how to deal with it.

Martin

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Martin: stay w/ the paste into PowerPoint; it will work and PPT has a 'Save As' option; click Save As and you should get a window. At the bottom, in the file types, it will offer you the option of what type of file you want to save it as. Choose .pic (picture) or .jpeg, the next prompt will ask whether you want to save every slide in the PPT, answer No and it will drop a .jpeg into whatever directory your working with with whatever name you choose.

Has to be an easier way .... like dropping $$ on a Mac ... doesn't come easy; with peripherals, about what a Bluesbird goes for ... :evil:

Best wishes,
cj

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Neil is the ultimate embodiment of cool! I remember first noticing how different he was when reading an interview in some guitar mag. When showing pics of his gear, instead of the normal diagrams and schematics of custom rack, footpedal systems, and fancy stage setups, there was a picture of a ratty old milk crate overflowing with with cords and crap, sitting next to a miked beat up Fender Champ! :D

I'll never forget the first time I saw him when he played with the Shocking Pinks for one half and solo the other half, sitting on the edge of the stage with his legs dangling off. My favorite anecdote is the one where he had somehow wired his barn and his house to make them into two giant stereo speakers. Then he rowed out in a boat in the lake in front of them to listen to his creation. In order to attain the right L-R balance, he had to call out with a megaphone to someone on land, "More barn! or More house!"

guildzilla

Reaction score
Neil is my favorite musician and has been for more than 30 years now. His body of work is amazing.

Lately I've been frequently playing MIRROR BALL which he recorded in the 90's with Pearl Jam. Really a great album all the way through. One that a lot of fans missed.

My favorite Neil album is TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT.

Kap'n

Reaction score
jp said:
I'll never forget the first time I saw him when he played with the Shocking Pinks for one half and solo the other half, sitting on the edge of the stage with his legs dangling off.

I saw that tour. Pretty decent show, I thought. Not a lot of folks got the Pinks.

drowlins

Reaction score
I also saw that tour- Kemper Arena in Kansas City 1984-My wife was 5 months pregnant with our oldest son (who is now 24) :shock:
When Neil came out with the Shocking Pinks, they lit into "Kansas City"
I've been a fan since his Springfield days.

Kap'n

Reaction score
drowlins said:
I've been a fan since his Springfield days.

And he played "Mr. Soul" on that tour. :D

I've been a Neil fan for nearly all of my life, I just didn't realize it (associate the name with the music) since 1976 or so.