Guild S-100 Polara bought off ebay.

Reaction score
So I was going through a serious case of G.A.S scouring the internet looking for a late '90s Guild S-100 Polara with a natural finish. I find one on ebay. The description given is that this is a MINT instrument. All original hardware. So I choose the BIN option for $849.00 on a whim. I get the guitar in a few days and low and behold I spot some rather unpleasant scratches on the neck and a finish chip on the lower bout of the guitar. Now this isn't the end of it. The tail piece had been installed in reverse, and the original strap buttons had been replaced with bulky, painful bolts. I was a bit pissed off to tell you the truth, but as I started to play the thing I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than my original one. I've left the seller some messages, but i've yet to receive a response. Should I demand a refund and send the guitar back for false advertising?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
drunkenguitarist said:
but as I started to play the thing I couldn't believe how much better it sounded than my original one. Should I demand a refund and send the guitar back for false advertising?

Oh Shickered One

I believe the answer to your quoted question lies in the first part of the quote.
A request for some sort of reimbursement might be in order though.

And "shickered" is Kiwi-ese for pissed (as in drunken), by the way.
A day of high learning !

Reaction score
Hey coastie99,
Yeah, I've been sending out messages to the seller, but he hasn't been responding. So I'm going to look at the ebay policies to see what I can do through them. A tough lesson learned. Next time I will do a bit more research or avoid personal dealers altogether. The music stores seem to be more truthful and honest than anyone else because their reputation is on the line.

wright1

Reaction score
Hi drunkenguitarist, I paid £800 for a very good condition '98 S100 in white. Thats about $1600.Did I over pay? Well they retailed in the UK for about £1500 so I think that I got a good deal for a instrument that is fairly rare in the UK and unlikely to ever be in production again. You say it plays really well, and I know that you feel ripped off but if you fixed the issues on the instrument could you love it? I know that I could. Force the seller into refunding something towards the repair and wouldn't it be better that the guitar is in your hands and not some twit? I would have been happy to pay £400 for a S100 with a few issues to fix.

Reaction score
Hey wright1,
I think that generally American made guitars overseas always tend to be more on the pricey side. I've looked at some older model Guilds for sale on the other side of the "ol' pond" and I was shocked to say the least at how much they were asking for them. So I don't think that you overpaid as long as you know that you own a quality instrument. I might have to look into whether or not I can get the finish chip fixed. I'm sure that it won't be such a big deal.

zom-zom

Reaction score
I had a similar situation with a Gibson SG-90 on eBay.

It was listed as being in "near-mint" condition. The photos looked pretty good. I won it, at a very good price. When it arrived, it had several chips an dings and some discoloration. The guitar was wired incorrectly, the ground was unattached, wrong volume pot, etc. etc. Condition was "good" at best.

Nevertheless, I got it cheap, it played great. I complained but I kept it. They were dishonest with their description, they did not ship it to me until 10 days after they had the payment, I gave them a bad eBay score and they gave one to me, even though my payment was sent minutes after the auction ended.

I don't get this sort of dishonesty.

wright1

Reaction score
Hi Drunkenguitarist, Glad to hear you are thinking of keeping the S100. I think that Guild still used nitro for the finish so chip repairs are not so bad. Even with the good $/£ exchange US instruments are still expensive here in the UK mainly due to the ever increasing shipping costs and the idea that there is some mystique in US made instruments.
Zom-Zom, as for E-Bay I only look. If you want to read masterpieces of fiction then e-bay is the place. It is quite clear that people tell porkies and describe a average or worse instrument as 'mint' and excuse this as not knowing much about guitars. BS! I have looked at countless ads described as 'genuine' when they are fakes. I don't understand it either. It just seems that there are a section of folks out there with no conscience.
Sorry, I am going off to calm down now. Peace to all. Well actually how about the sound of many Guilds??

Squawk

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
And "shickered" is Kiwi-ese for pissed (as in drunken), by the way.
A day of high learning !

Interesting - that's also the Yiddish word - when using latin characters, it's usually spelled "shikker" - and, just like English can mean "drunk" as a state of being or adjective (drunken); or "drunk" as an individual (noun).

Examples:

Joe is shikker.
Joe is a shikker.
Look at shikker Joe stagger down the street.

More high learning - only on LTG...

Reaction score
8) "Interesting - that's also the Yiddish word - when using latin characters, it's usually spelled "shikker" - and, just like English can mean "drunk" as a state of being or adjective (drunken); or "drunk" as an individual (noun)."

Squawk, just saw your response & was wondering if you are Jewish? If so, I'm also one of the tribe.

Squawk

Reaction score
Jake The Loafer said:
Squawk, just saw your response & was wondering if you are Jewish? If so, I'm also one of the tribe.

Yup! Now I wonder if Coastie is too....

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Well, OK guys.

Just assure me that there's no weird induction ritual to undergo !

Well Coastie, us Jewish babies go thru a ceremony called a "Briss" sp? where the male baby is circumsized in front of family & friends & done at home. OUCH!!!!

Reaction score
8) Graham, 13 is a Bar Mitzvah when you become a young man. The briss is done within a few weeks or month of birth. Ain't no one cutting mine at that age. :lol:

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jake The Loafer said:
8) Graham, 13 is a Bar Mitzvah when you become a young man. The briss is done within a few weeks or month of birth. Ain't no one cutting mine at that age. :lol:

Nothing gonna make you a man that like circumsized in front of friends and family when you're a teen. :shock:

Squawk

Reaction score
Jake The Loafer said:

Actually, if all is medically OK, Jewish law indicates doing it on the 8th day after birth is preferable. And while the parents usually make a party out of this, the actual cutting need not be in front of all the guests (my son's was done privately upstairs with only parents and grandparents watching).

Jake - does Birmingham have much of a Jewish community?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jake The Loafer said:
coastie99 said:
Well, OK guys.

Just assure me that there's no weird induction ritual to undergo !

Well Coastie, us Jewish babies go thru a ceremony called a "Briss" sp? where the male baby is circumsized in front of family & friends & done at home. OUCH!!!!

Ah, well, yes............

Maybe there are some Buddhists here who'd adopt me ???