Which One Would You Date?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
:lol: :lol: That's funny, Dr! Anyone who was in the Navy and spent time in Subic Bay? The women there could open bottles of beer that way, among other things :shock: The word was to make sure we invited some of them to our squadron parties so they could pop open the cold San Miguels for us.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know if she'd float Graham, although she was acting a bit like a bobber :D :lol:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
drednut said:
:lol: :lol: That's funny, Dr! Anyone who was in the Navy and spent time in Subic Bay? The women there could open bottles of beer that way, among other things :shock: The word was to make sure we invited some of them to our squadron parties so they could pop open the cold San Miguels for us.

1000 Missions across Sh*t River!! How long is your pole in Olongapo?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
FNG! Ha! It had to be you!

I was there on the Ranger, WestPac '74, a little while before the NVA overran South VietNam. Nixon resigned when we were over there, and the Miss Universe Pageant was in Manilla that year. We totally missed streaking, it came and went in the US while we were gone. So my buddy streaked the officers (wive's) beach in Subic Bay over by Alava Pier. :shock: Some of them stood and applauded. :lol: And I took off with his clothes, so he had to catch me before he could get back in uniform Hey what are friends for?

Remember the Sampaguita Club? Double shots of Chivas for 30 cents. And the band in every club in town was blaring out "Smoke On De Water", we called it the Filipino National Anthem.

One bright spot was a little place called the Cork Room, out toward White Rock Beach. Real low key, dart boards, pool tables, and usually a solo acoustic guitarist sitting on a stool. Cold San Miguels were 70 centavos, about 12 cents US. 8)

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
drednut said:
FNG! Ha! It had to be you!

I was there on the Ranger, WestPac '74, a little while before the NVA overran South VietNam. Nixon resigned when we were over there, and the Miss Universe Pageant was in Manilla that year. We totally missed streaking, it came and went in the US while we were gone. So my buddy streaked the officers (wive's) beach in Subic Bay over by Alava Pier. :shock: Some of them stood and applauded. :lol: And I took off with his clothes, so he had to catch me before he could get back in uniform Hey what are friends for?

Remember the Sampaguita Club? Double shots of Chivas for 30 cents. And the band in every club in town was blaring out "Smoke On De Water", we called it the Filipino National Anthem.

One bright spot was a little place called the Cork Room, out toward White Rock Beach. Real low key, dart boards, pool tables, and usually a solo acoustic guitarist sitting on a stool. Cold San Miguels were 70 centavos, about 12 cents US. 8)

Hey dred...Westpac 85, you old salt. What a trip that place was. I can remember giving the band 5 dollar American and asking how many times will you play Ghost Riders in the Sky? I think the cheapest beer we ever got was about 2.5 pesos which then was 15 cents. You can sure have a good time on 15 cent beer. Bring a wad of cash, and you have instant Pesonality!!!

We used to always head out to the barrio, the White Rock beach area. Cool breezes, cooler San Magus, and other assorted activites. That's all I got to say about that. :twisted:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Man, you must've been there not too long before Mt. Pinatubo buried the base in silt. :cry:

My buddy came back to the ship with a "Martin" guitar one time, he was thrilled, "Forty-five dollars!" sez he. I tried to tell him it wasn't a real Martin but he'd have none of that. It said "Martin Guitars, Nazareth PA" right on the headstock. Yeah, the Filipinos could copy anything pretty well. Problem is, his "Martin" was hideously warped and unplayable by the time we got back to the States. Evidently these Martins were not really from Nazareth, PA, and they were made from green wood. :cry:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: No telling how many Rorex watches I bought in Singapore and Malaysia. I'll bet at least 2 dozen. I bought at least one for all my family and friends, and 2 for some. Most of them were caput within a month. Looked good, but the telltale givaway was they didn't have the sweep second hand, just the little click, click, click kind.

I've often thought about sending one to Rolex just to see what they'd say, but I'm afraid I'd be arrested.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, West, you know you've been had when it's spelled "Rollex" :lol:

Man, it's a long (2) flights to Singapore, eh? Or did you float over there?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coming home from Malaysia, no kidding, the company booked this itinerary.

Kuantan Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur....layover, change planes
KL to Singapore....layover, change planes
Singapore to Hong Kong...2 hour layover, sameplane
Hong Kong to San Fransisco...layover, change planes
San Fransisco to Atlanta...layover, change planes
Atlanta to Dallas...layover, change planes
Dallas to my little hometown, layover, change planes

From the time I left the hotel, till the time I walked in my front door was 43 hours. I think they now have a direct flight Singapore to Dallas in 18 or 19 hours now. I flew over my hometown twice. If I had happened to have a parachute, I'd a jumped. Sure was glad to see home.

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
San Fransisco to Atlanta...layover, change planes
Atlanta to Dallas...layover, change planes

From the time I left the hotel, till the time I walked in my front door was 43 hours. I think they now have a direct flight Singapore to Dallas in 18 or 19 hours now. I flew over my hometown twice. If I had happened to have a parachute, I'd a jumped. Sure was glad to see home.

West

Nice. :?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I went to Singapore a few years ago, I went Detroit-Tokyo (13-1/2 hours) then when we landed in Tokyo we were late and they were announcing my name on the intercom in the airport. They came and got me with one of those big golf carts and whisked me to my Singapore flight (another 8-1/2 hours), total elapsed and flight time was about 24 hours from the time I left my house. Nothing compared to your 43 hours but I was still a zombie when I got there :D

While there, I ate in the following types of ethnic restaurants on different nights: Indian, Sudanese, and Afghan. Outstanding meals at all three. Also went in the bar where the Singapore Sling was allegedly invented, watched an acoustic guitarist/singer perform there one night.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yep, we ate Indian, Chinese obviously, Thai, Vietnamese, Malay. When we got there we were afraid to eat anywhere. Compared to here they all looked like dumps. A couple of miles down the road, there was this Chinese open air food court made of cinder block right on the South China Sea. Every time we passed it was packed until 2:00 am ( they eat late there). We finally stopped in.

Flies everywhere and cows eating out of a trash can right next to you. Not a fence in all Malaysia, and everyone has cows, pigs, goats and chickens which all just run wild. Anyway, we decided they must be doing something right. We were served entire serving platters of calamari, fried prawn, and sweet and sour beef with fried rice. All to die for! Had the huge aqarium that you'd pick your Talapia out of, they'd net him and sacrifice his body for your appetite, right before your eyes. Man, this stuff was some of the best I've ever eaten. All of that along with 6 Tiger beers came to $45 Ringit, or about $12 US. My gosh, since I got back to the States, I've tried and tried to find a Chinese restaurant that could make flied lice like that place, but not a chance.

The really comical part was when we first arrived, two bubbas from East Texas. We arrived Feb. 1 of 2000. Chinese New Year, Year of the Golden Dragon. Like Christmas and the 4th of July all rolled into one. Everything was closed. Anyway, we find our rental vehicle complete with the steering wheel on the wrong side, then discover we have to drive on the wrong side of the road. It's the tail end of monsoon season, so the first morning, we have to be at work long before the crack of dawn. It's raining sideways, pitch darkness, wrong side of the raod, wrong side of the truck, and every time we looked in our headlights, there's a cow standing in the middle of the highway. Bubba does the Orient! We lived.....barely.

The company I work for has plants in both Malaysia and Singapore. Singapore was fabulous. Never would I have dreamed there could be such cultural diversity in one place. And the entire Island is immaculate. 16 miles long and about 8 or 10 wide, with 4 or 5 million people and not a speck of trash. I loved Singapore. My wife did an extended stay in Malaysia with me, but she missed Singapore. I'd love to take her there someday for a second honeymoon. She's done extensive Habitat for Humanity work in the Phillipines, so she's very accustomed to Southeast Asia. I fell in love with Malaysia, drives all over the country and up to Thailand. Just a mystique that makes it a whole other world as you well know Dred. The nicest, most poilte people I've ever met.

West