Bluesbird prices rising

guildzilla

Reaction score
I've been tracking e-Bay Bluesbird prices - only the 1997-2003 reissues are included below - over the last six months or so.

The complete listings I'm looking at very recently seem to indicate that the prices have reached a new plateau.

Since March 17, out of six Bluesbirds sold the lowest price fetched is $1,027, the highest is $1,575, and the average is $1,197.

And this isn't counting the beaut LeBlaze has listed, which is riding the trend with three days to go and already at $1,400.

For a similar period of time in late-November to early-December, I tracked eight Bluesbirds, lowest for $810, highest for $1,100, and the average at $948.

Even the $948 average seemed to me at the time to be higher than last October, but I wasn't tracking as closely back then.

Either way, a 25% increase in average prices December to April is quite a lot.

Just another e-Bay cycle with circumstantial numbers, or have Bluesbird prices really taken off?

matsickma

Reaction score
It sounds like we were all low balled by the deflation that came when Fender blew out the Guild (and Dearmond) line of guitars. A few years ago there were loads of Dearmonds at very low prices. Today many of the models have been selling at prices above the blow-out price. Same thing goes with the Guilds. Heck a few years back I picked up a new Gold Bluesbird for around $600 (no case) and Green Blues 90 for $750 (with case)-too bad I sold that one!
m

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting, 'Zill.

I'd intended doing the very same thing during my week on holiday.
I'd noticed too, that prices seem to be trending up

Currently watching a gorgeous Tobacco Burst on Ebay; I'm picking it will fetch top-dollar.

Did you conclude that the natural-top BB's are the ones fetching the big bucks ?
Seemed to me that that is the case.

guildzilla

Reaction score
I share the same hypothesis that Matsickma related. Perhaps that surplus supply and deflation period has about played itself out, at least for the Bluesbirds.

Coastie also makes a good point. The blonde tops tend to go higher than the sunburst and red tops. There have been lots of nice blondes sitting at the bar lately, too, and perhaps that has skewed the curve.

guildzilla

Reaction score
I thought I'd update this thread, because recent Bluesbird prices are just too wild for words.

From April 7 to April 26, nine Bluesbird ('97-'03 reissues only) sold on e-Bay. The average price was $1,320. The lowest went for $1,100. The highest for $1,575 (with two others selling above $1,525).

Since April 28, however, the prices have dropped considerably with four Bluesbirds sold in the last week or so at an average price of $1,020. The lowest for $875. The highest for $1,123. All four of these guitars looked to be in super condition, with OHSC.

Pardon my obsession. I've become a fanatical bird watcher. Coo, coo. Tweet, tweet. Caw, caw, caw.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
guildzilla said:
Yes, dear Coastie, the parrot is your perfect fit. Have a cracker, dude.

You get a pirate, and I'll get a life.

Long John Saliva's parrot: "Rark ! Where's me buccaneers ?"

Long John Saliva: "On the side of yer buccan head !"

Squawk

Reaction score
I agree that prices now are starting to reflect the value as the blowout of BBs a few years ago artificially lowered the ebay prices until now.

gtraddict

Reaction score
What were the general condition of the 2nd batch of Bluesbirds compared to the 1st on ebay you kept track of Guildzilla?

guildzilla

Reaction score
Honestly, it all looked like apples to apples to me. Most of these guitars are in excellent condition. I can't find many distinctions between the samples.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Good information, Zilla. Gives me a deeper understanding as well of your generous suggestion about my Nightbird. Any data on what's been happening to their prices?

guildzilla

Reaction score
I left those out, D.

John, it was not my suggestion about the Nightbird; it was the mating song. I was merely transcribing and trying to ease your pain.

Gee whiz, try to do a favor....

Swearengen

Reaction score
guildzilla said:
I share the same hypothesis that Matsickma related. Perhaps that surplus supply and deflation period has about played itself out, at least for the Bluesbirds.

Coastie also makes a good point. The blonde tops tend to go higher than the sunburst and red tops. There have been lots of nice blondes sitting at the bar lately, too, and perhaps that has skewed the curve.

IMHO, Those natural finish AAAs look better in pictures than in person. I was disappointed when mine came. It looks kind of pasty and pale and the flames don't show up as well as the colored burst ones. That's been the case with ones I've seen subsequently too. They look like they're sort of amber colored in many pics. They're not.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a natural top "in the flesh", but in photo's they don't appeal to me at all. There are guys here who are great fans, though.
I could live with a nice Maple natural finish on a hollowbody, though.

Quite a few nice tobacco-bursts being offered lately; I'd pay a premium for one of those.

Ebay sellers have certainly been watching the market, starting to ask silly prices now for painted finishes, although I must say, I could happily live with the black beauty currently listed on Ebay.