give me some info on my S-100, please

brunning

Reaction score
Hi, i've been after an S-100 for a while and finally found a great one.

The model number on the label is S-100-NB. What's the NB all about?

The serial is 106360, what's the year of production? (I keep reading about how all the dating charts are wrong).

The thing is MUCH more resonant than my SGs. When playing it acoustically, it's loud and you can feel the whole body of the guitar vibrating. Plugged in, it roars. The sustain is great, condition is great, appears 100% original, and there's subtle checking all over the clear coat that looks really cool.

The phase switch had already been disconnected, so i pulled it out because i kept hitting it when going for the volume. The rest of the electronics seem to be of good quality and in good shape, but i'll probably swap the caps for RS Jensen GuitarCaps or Hovland Musicaps.

The only real negative are the low, flat frets. They're certainly playable, but i'll eventually have some nice round medium jumbo wire installed to make it a super slinky player. I really look forward to that day.

Finally, here it is:

[img:480:1000]http://thirdrate.com/gear/s100_1.jpg[/img]

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
brunning said:
Hi, i've been after an S-100 for a while and finally found a great one.

The model number on the label is S-100-NB. What's the NB all about?

The serial is 106360, what's the year of production? (I keep reading about how all the dating charts are wrong).

Hello brunning,

NB is the color designation and it stands for 'Nature Boy'. They came up with that finish during the early '70s 'back to nature' days and it was clear lacquer over natural mahogany with a light-colored filler.

The available dating charts for this particular period are correct and your S-100 NB with serial # 106360 is from 1974.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl