Advice needed on sale of Bluesbird

Swearengen

Reaction score
I'm probably putting one of my Bluesbirds up for sale in a week or two. It currently has two Seymour Duncan Phat Cats (bucker-sized P90 type) installed. I have two of them with Phat Cats, so this one can go.

Being not completely stupid, I kept the original pickups tucked away safe. I orginally had a Blues 90 but the pickups (ceramic) were a little too hot and and didn't do as well clean - Also the huge neck was a drawback to me. So, I tried the Phat Cats (alnico) in a Bluesbird and that did the trick perfectly.

My gut tells me to sell the guitar with the Phat Cats installed, and offer the original pickups for an additional $100 or so, optional of course. I'm guessing that there are others who would prefer this config or want to try it. Agree? Which way would it get more interest?? Thanks for any advice.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I would probably leave it as is & offer it with both sets of pickups included...priced accordingly. If you want to offer the additional time to swap pickups, you could easily suggest this as an option in your listing.

Swearengen

Reaction score
dklsplace said:
I would probably leave it as is & offer it with both sets of pickups included...priced accordingly. If you want to offer the additional time to swap pickups, you could easily suggest this as an option in your listing.

Thanks. I forgot that another advantage of selling as-is is that I'd have to pay $20 bucks to have the pickups changed back.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Agree w/ Don; suggest you sell it as is with the original p/u's in the case. If the buyer wants it as-original, you've given them that option by hanging on to them. Besides, he might like the way you have it set up now.

No idea of value; currently +/- $1,200-$1,300? on eBay, more in GBase web stores representing dealer markup. Maybe somewhat more considering extra set of p/u's however if the buyer already knows them and doesn't like or want them, 'charging' extra for something they don't want may be awkward.

Swearengen

Reaction score
capnjuan, thanks.

Still not sure about simply including the 59s in the sale, but I'll keep thinking about it and waiting on more replies. After all if someone wants only the Phat Cats, I could probably expect $100 on Ebay for the 59s.

It is a standard (black), not a flame top, so I'll be happy to get $800-$900 plus $100 for the second set of pups.

Reaction score
maybe id like to buy it???? i couldn't go over 800 hundred though, im new here....just fell in love with guilds last night hahaha. pictures??

Swearengen

Reaction score
bennintexas said:
maybe id like to buy it???? i couldn't go over 800 hundred though, im new here....just fell in love with guilds last night hahaha. pictures??

Hey. I would consider $800 with the installed Phat Cats only. I couldn't include the 59s. The guitar is in excellent cond. This is the only pic I have right now. There'll be several more when it goes up on Ebay in a couple weeks.

[IMG:375:591]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g108/TheWelshDragon/Guitar/Blues90Body.jpg[/img][/img]

Kap'n

Reaction score
Nice. I like the Phat Kat's a lot, but they're not "Rock and Roll" pickups by any means.

If it was me, I'd re-install the original pickups, and sell the Phats by themselves. It'll probably net you $100-200 more.

guildzilla

Reaction score
I agree with Kap'n, especially for an e-Bay listing. Put the '59's back in and list the guitar with original equipment. Sell or keep the other pickups. I think it will be a better deal in the end for you.

Reaction score
john_kidder said:
bennintexas said:
just fell in love with guilds last night

What was the cause of your sudden infatuation?

one of my favorite bands came to town, who basically only played les pauls. but last night... he played this incredible wine red guild m-75, and that was the end of it.

Swearengen

Reaction score
Kap'n said:
Nice. I like the Phat Kat's a lot, but they're not "Rock and Roll" pickups by any means.

If it was me, I'd re-install the original pickups, and sell the Phats by themselves. It'll probably net you $100-200 more.

Thanks, but I beg to differ. The guitar is more of a rocker with the Phat Cats. The 59's have a smoother, sweeter flavor; the Phat Cats are definitely more rude and edgier to my ear. The Bluesbird AAA I'm keeping I have with the stock 59 in the bridge and a Phat Cat in the neck. A great combo, and an improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Swearengen

Reaction score
Well, it went for $1175 with both sets of pickups. I'm pretty happy with that and a little surprised for having no flamed top. More than I thought it would fetch.

Buyer's remorse is setting in anyway. It is a sweet guitar.

zom-zom

Reaction score
I've got a Phat Cat in one of my SGs, I too think it has a nastier rock sound than a humbucker. I love the sound of those.

guildzilla

Reaction score
S, it was obviously an extremely well-cared for and pampered instrument. It looked beautiful in your listing pix. You are a good guitar shepherd.

My eyes nearly popped when you indicated you'd take $800. And I almost shot you a message saying "YES! YES! I GOT IT!"

I thought you could do better than that, though. Glad you did.