can i put a Gibson Tune-o-Matic on an S-100?

ave del noche

Reaction score
If you have the older adjust-o-matic bridge with the roller saddles, then I'm afraid the answer is no. The post spacing on those bridges is much wider than than either the abr1 or nashville style tune-o-matics. I hate the roller saddles, so I had some solid brass saddles made for mine...huge improvement in clarity, sustain and tone.

If you have one of the reissue s-100's made in the 90's, you're all set. They use a gotoh tune-o-matic that you can buy at places like stew-mac. Just make sure you get the large-post style.

brunning

Reaction score
a delayed thanks for the info.

it's a 70s model with the adjust-o-matic roller bridge.

i assume that the string spacing is similar, so i could plug the old holes and drill new ones for a gibson bridge, yeah?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
brunning said:
a delayed thanks for the info.

it's a 70s model with the adjust-o-matic roller bridge.

i assume that the string spacing is similar, so i could plug the old holes and drill new ones for a gibson bridge, yeah?

Or, as ADN did, and I intend doing with my SF4, get some brass replacement saddles machined up.
Pretty simple thing to do for a competent machinist.

Bugger drilling holes in yer guitar !!

brunning

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
Or, as ADN did, and I intend doing with my SF4, get some brass replacement saddles machined up.

hmmm... interesting suggestion. i live in nyc and can tell you where to buy beer and korean food at 4am, but i don't exactly have a friendly local machine shop in my neighborhood. i'll ask around.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
brunning said:
coastie99 said:

hmmm... interesting suggestion. i live in nyc and can tell you where to buy beer and korean food at 4am, but i don't exactly have a friendly local machine shop in my neighborhood. i'll ask around.

I'm reminded by this correspondence, to get my arse into gear and get this sorted for myself.

I know a highly-competent machinist very well; I'll see him next week and run this one past him.

Stay tuned Brunning.

brunning

Reaction score
coastie99 said:
I'm reminded by this correspondence, to get my arse into gear and get this sorted for myself.

I know a highly-competent machinist very well; I'll see him next week and run this one past him.

Stay tuned Brunning.

wow! if he can do the job and it's not a problem for him to make another set, i'd love to get my hands on em.

let me know how it works out, feel free to PM me, as well.

ave del noche

Reaction score
brunning - I sent coastie a copy of the blueprint used to make mine, but if you're thinking about having some made I could forward it to you as well. They've worked great in my S-100s.