Another nice Nightbird

ave del noche

Reaction score
Sorry you missed out on those two, but I know you'll find one. Although they're rare, there always seems to be at least one for sale every month or so. You just have to jump on it if it's one you like and is fairly priced.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
guildzilla said:
I think prices/values on these gems are headed for the stratosphere.

Yep. And me too big of a weenie to pull the trigger.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
How is the weight balance on a nightbird? A bluesbird doesn't stay put on my right thigh. The bottom is so heavy that it sags toward the floor and the neck rises toward the ceiling. (I have the same problem.) If the center of gravity on a nightbird is closer to the neck, it might stay put on my leg better.

How does the body shape compare to a bluesbird? Are the bouts and waist wider or narrower? Is the body longer or shorter? Is the waist closer to the neck or farther away? Anybody who answers yes will get a free ticket to The View.

Kap'n

Reaction score
Nightbirds are very well balanced.

Light chambered mahogany and spruce, combined with a small peghead and light tuners.

I guess I miss mine, a bit.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Kaptin'

With spruce, the body would be lighter, but if the headstock and tuners are lighter, then the center of gravity might not be any farther forward. Right?

Hattin'

ave del noche

Reaction score
Not all of the Nightbirds had lighter tuners. The earlier examples mostly had Gotoh kluson-style tuners that were pretty light, but during 1986 they also started using heavier Grovers. The (generally) lighter spruce top would more often than not make up for it regardless. That said, these are trees after all, so there are no absolutes.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay Darryl....

the avatar is freaking me out. :shock: :shock: :cry: :lol:

Kap'n

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Kaptin'

With spruce, the body would be lighter, but if the headstock and tuners are lighter, then the center of gravity might not be any farther forward. Right?

Hattin'

Yer right. They were still balanced though.

I love those small tuners. I wish my LP had them.

Anybody know where Guild got them from?

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score