morning church service

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got to play a church service this morning with one of my partners of 30+ years, I played my DV-52 and he played his Hohner - guitar, that is. One of the finest dreads I've had the occasion to play, made in the early 70's in Japan by Moiradira Co., it's patterned after the Martin D-45 - fully bound, abalone inlay around every conceivable seam front & back, 3 piece rosewood back (I think it might be Brazilian), fancy abalone fingerboard inlays and "HOHNER" inlaid in the headstock. I'll grab some stills and post them.

And of course, it plays and sounds like a dream. I've done some research on it but I can't seem to find specs on it, he said he heard it was made special for the NAMM show from the shop he bought it from in the 70's. I think he gave them $700.00 for it.

Anyway, our other friend plays an HD-28V, so it's some great eye and ear candy when we put our three rosewood beauties together for some harmonies :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I'll bet it is Dred. Three great guitars along with that Divine inspiration that miraculously gives you that bit of an edge during those performances. But we've discussed that before. :D

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
considering my Dutch Reformed heritage, it is truly a miraculous thing :D

When I was a kid, all music in church was done on the organ, sometimes with piano accompanyment. I only remember one time there was ever a guitar in church, and that was a guy who came and did special music one Sunday night (we had morning and evening services, the evening service was slightly less reserved, hence the special music). Maybe that's why it made such an impression on me, gee, I guess you can praise God with a guitar too!

Joy and exuberance didn't have a lot to do with it back then, solemnity was the expected posture. Heavy on the guilt and shame.

Well, things have changed. We rocked the place this morning, even had three lady backup singers, how cool is that?

And those old folks like the ones I went to church with when I was a kid? I'm rockin' with them on Thursday nights up at the Holland Home :D They absolutely love the guitars now, and I think they would have back then too, had they been exposed to them.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D My how times change, the one constant is peoples love for music though. Great work Dred!

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I want to go to the AME gospel church in Phoenix, but I don't want to be the old white guy there gawking at them. Or worse, trying to get down with them.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl?

Is that you in the back pews?

Darrylbf.jpg

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That's him Graham....Darryl Leroy Hattenhauer. But seriously Darryl, if you want to attend there, I wouldn't let your race stop you, keep in mind, you're not going there for the people.

West

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yes, but they aren't going there to have some old white academic show up like he's doing research.

I could go to the Franciscan Catholic church nearby and strum along in the band. For music, it's the best Catholic church I know of around here. And I like St Francis for including animals in his ministry. Did all of you know that Cesar Chavez was a vegetarian? I like reminding liberiles that Cesar was religious, and reminding preservatives that a Christian can be a liberile, and reminding carnivores that he was a vegetarian. If I've offended anybody, you can remind me that Hitler was a vegetarian. And when he was starting out, most German profs (with names like Hattenhauer) supported him.

I like the Unitarian church too, but the tithing is exorbitant.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
They're more concerned with paying coaches millions.

I think this is the Jock's revenge on the Nerd's, not to call you a Nerd Dr. H, but when they sign these multi-million dollar contracts there is very little chuckling in the back about the person being a mental midget or a drooling idiot anymore, the table kind of turns.

You gotta figure out how to make reedin', ritin' and addin' up stuff into something that people will pay good money to see.

Then you can become the Coach!

[IMG:214:226]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/Graham_61/winner07.jpg[/img]