John Prine on PBS May 27

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
John Prine is scheduled on local PBS station KCTS this coming weekend.

Red set the record function on the cable service. I'm pretty sure it's a rerun of a previously aired performance. Given the miserable entertainment choices on TV I'm gonna watch this one again.

http://www.pbs.org/tvschedules/tvschedu ... channel=-1

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
First we're overwhelmed by all the fine guitars in the PACNW. As if that weren't enough, now you tell us about good stuff to watch on your cable...what do you suggest I do here; aim my rabbit ears towards Seattle? I get it now; you're all about rubbing it in :evil: ...good guitars, good telly, good cleaners for your car paint, good this and good that....

Ya better be nice or else I'm gonna fill this Board with stories like the one recently where a Palm Beach County homeless man (formerly known as a 'bum') was sleeping in a dumpster when the waste people emptied it into their truck.

They dumped (and packed) four more loads before they heard the guy screaming. They took him to the hospital to patch several broken bones and then to a convalescent center where, after a few days, he stole someone else's stuff, got in a fight over it, and is now in the County Jail...where's the justice it that?

Whatever you do, keep those local / regional guitar posts coming; the way things are going, I'll be buying one from up there before there's anything to buy down here....

PS: What channel did you say the show is on?

cj

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
First we're overwhelmed by all the fine guitars in the PACNW. As if that weren't enough, now you tell us about good stuff to watch on your cable...what do you suggest I do here; aim my rabbit ears towards Seattle?

Whatever you do, keep those local / regional guitar posts coming; the way things are going, I'll be buying one from up there before there's anything to buy down here....

PS: What channel did you say the show is on?

cj

Hey Capn, take it easy, unless you are serious about the rabbit ears limitation I can't imagine programs like Austin City Limits & Soundstage aren't available via your cable service. Ya never know, you being in Gatorville & all but ya have to pay attention to these stations, the better performances are broadcast sparsely you have to monitor the programming out a couple weeks to see if anything good is coming up. Try searching your cable service for "Austin City Limits" or "Soundstage"

Here are a few links :

PBS Soundstage (Public Broadcasting System) KCTS Channel 9 out here
http://www.pbs.org/wttw/soundstage/ Check the "Artists Achives" for past performances, we just watched Dan Fogelberg last week. I think he used 6 maybe 7 different guitars, not a single one a Guild.

Austin City Limits: http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/

Some nice hour long concerts show up here semi regularly. I see James Blount is scheduled to be shown again on June 9 [img:385:292]http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/images/jamesblunt385x292.jpg[/img] http://www.pbs.org/klru/austin/artists/ ... urtry.html

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
We have two local PBS channels; they both show the same stuff at the same time...it's Florida...who knows...thanks for the tip...

Allligator wrestling, video of people ripping around in the Everglades on airboats with insects in their teeth, 3rd graders at the zoo giggling as the animals break wind...local govts on in the evening passing ordinances that amend the ordinances that they'd passed before amending the ordinances that amended the original ordinances or the Palm Beach County School Board ($4 billion budget / 170 thousand kids / 4,000 buses) hanging another Superintendent out to dry...

I try to play guitar in the evening; the wife is sporting enough to relocate....don't quite have a sound-proof studio yet. We got plenty of tellies...just not that much to watch.

Just keep those guitar posts coming....some things do count!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Did they ever fix those confusing voting ballot cards down there Cap? :? :shock: Republican conspiracy! :lol: :lol: And who in their right mind could imagine that republicans would want the military to vote? I mean what gives the military the right to vote? :roll:

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:shock: Much better Graham, for a moment there I thought the new ballots might be difficult to understand.

West

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes, West....they fixed them....sort of.

Went to 'Touch Screen' system; worked better except no paper trail / hard copy. Legislature recently passed law eliminating Touch Screen throughout the state; going back to punched card / optically- read system.

The female commish of voting here in Palm Beach County who designed the infamous 'butterfly' ballot, lost her next election (touch screen) to a former county school board member who is also a confessed/convicted tax cheat...

Lotta distortion down here....lots of it.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The Louisiana Katrina refugees now in FL can run but not hide. The Govt and the hurricane doom-sayers are predicting a high number of named storms this year. They did the same thing last year and we only had one storm threaten to come ashore. They are supposed to 'Cry Wolf' but after 2004, they do so year after year.

At the risk of hitting a political flat note, the new FL Guv, Charles Crist - a former bagman for Jeb Bush, a conservative Republican, has turned out to be more of a political moderate. He's struggling with the insurance problem; too much risk to be spread among too few people. He and the FL Congressional delegation are trying to push Congress for a National Emergency Relief Fund - political 'code' for making you and the other board members at lower risk kick in to help cover the exposure of those at higher risk.......that of course would be me.....and others too.

Naturally this idea has widespread support here....

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sunday morning, breakfast in bed & John Prine

Had a glorious Sunday morning. Brought the recorded John Prine mini concert up & set the tone for the whole day. My lady served me breakfast in bed, Poached eggs, Canadian bacon toast & coffee.

Concert was material I haven't seen before. If'n ever I can play guitar like John Prine I'll die a happy man.

There was about 10 minutes of "Interview" afterwards & he says since his neck surgery he can't sing in the same keys as his old songs. He "Can't get up there"

Funny, I ws plinking along with my F 20 looking for the key & it seemed to me he was doing a lot in E or Em & I seem to remember his old songs were in G or D.

Practicng scales has helped me just a whole bunch.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep thread jumping or dumping Jeff, but I've got a question for Cap. You mean they want all those who live in relative safety inland to subsidize the insurance premiums of those who choose to live on the beach?

Sorry Jeff, I missed the Prine concert, didn't see it on the Dallas PBS station. Jeff, have you taken over as administrator of LTG? I keep getting email notices anytime there's a topic reply, they all come from you. :shock: Someone else commented about it the other day.

West

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep thread jumping or dumping Jeff, but I've got a question for Cap. You mean they want all those who live in relative safety inland to subsidize the insurance premiums of those who choose to live on the beach
You mean they want all those who live safely inland to subsidize those who choose to live on the beach?

Not a problem, I just figured I'd take a chance & post the John Prine results here in the hurricane thread.

Yep, check the assets & claim payng ability of the top insurers. State Farm, Allstate & the like. They don't have the kind of money it takes to rebuild catastrophies like Katrina. Heck the US Govt doesn't have that kind of money.

I can't believe Florida & similar states issue permits for mobil homes. Need to start building more stuff with reinforced concrete & steel.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Re: Sunday morning, breakfast in bed & John Prine

Jeff said:
Had a glorious Sunday morning. My lady served me breakfast in bed, Poached eggs, Canadian bacon toast & coffee.

Canadian_bacon.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
West: to answer your question, that was the case but that is changing. The FL legislature, in conjunction with the insurance industry, have established an 'Assigned Risk' pool. The Assigned Risk pool writes coverage for those properties at greater risk (typically coastal) and the insurance carriers write coverage for those at less-risk. It has nothing to do with 'Fairness' - as far as I know that has never motivated the FL Legistlature; it has to do with the State taking some of the risk to assure that low/moderate risk coverage is available. Here in Palm Beach County, everyone living east of I95 is 'assigned risk'; everyone west of I95 isn't. I live east of I95 and I pay more for the same coverage than do those west of I95.

Jeff: the local/state building codes were upgraded following the 1992 disaster of H. Andrew; $25 billion in insured losses driven mostly by newer but poorly-built homes; FWIW - homes that were not directly on the coast. As examples; new homes must have either shutters or hurricane glass to get Building and Occupancy permits, roofs tied down to foundation via reinforcing steel, no gable ends to catch wind, ballasted roofs, many others. This of course does nothing for the millions of older homes and mobile homes.