WTB: Tubes and CTS

Kap'n

Reaction score
None of those oddball tubes seem particularly sought after. You can probably get them through Angela or AES.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yo Hatted One: I think if Matsickma doesn't have them, no one here in the raccoon lodge will. Even if he did, there would be the small matter of getting him to turn them loose.

If you can't find ones with logos, I've got a pair of nicely used Mullard 6GW8 outputs - formerly lived in an audiophile's low-power 1960s Heath gear; nearly free to good home.

If you're gonna re-tube, I'd suggest the current make / model Electro Harmonix 6BM8 and an EH 12AX7 for the reverb amp. A few hours use and they warm up nicely.

Nice avatar...sort of...

Kap'n

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
The old ones with Guild written on them?

Nope. But I'm pretty certain you will NEVER find those, unless you personally pluck them from another amp.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
How serious are you about the CTS speakers? The originals from my T1 RVT are with a friend. The 12" has a repaired puncture and the cone had started to soften, the 8" is in ok condition.

If he isn't using them, I could probably mooch them back but only if you think you might be interested. Otherwise the 12" CTS spkrs come and go pretty frequently on you know where.

John

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
D: Doesn't matter that they're decent amps, the T1s just plain don't sell well. With one recent exception, their T1 RVT brothers don't do very well either. "...I can't give it away on 7th avenue..." Shattered, Rolling Stones The Mick referring to his T1 :wink:

The eBay T1 RVT exception was this one: http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3297
where seller added questionable linkage between Mike Bloomfield/the Blues Project and T1 RVTs....yeah right....may have been played by Elvis...The recent listing for the copy in DFW http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3149 didn't sell.
Very clean looking in the pics but seller put $485 to open / $525 BIN...didn't get a bite. But, if it was me, I'd put numbers like $150-$175 max on the T1 and $300-$350 tops for a very clean T1 RVT; sort of 'averages' between what they'd be worth to me and what I think others might be willing to pay.

Unless:
1. Someone (one of us?) can come up with some good 'dish' on the T1 RVTs ("...Clapton may have kept one at his country home...Harrison was crazy about it....offered to buy it over and over....but EC flat out refused to sell it to him....")
2. Someone in the 'Indie' world of music discloses that his killer sound comes from a Guild amp, or
3. One of our Jazz/Rock BB members like Matsickma hits it big with his Guildomatic,

It's going to be a while before the value of these amps drifts up. As you know, the 60s tube amps have been / are being picked through in waves; the Fenders / Marshalls / Voxes / Supros...all gone into collections; can't hardly be bought. People looking for value and tone have bid up the second tier; Gibson, Ampeg, and Harmony. The Ampegs, particularly the Reverberocket, are starting to falter because they use a weird triple triode 6U10 tube that is as far from production as West's house will be from anything.
Which pretty much leaves the Danalectros that are a pain to work on, Magnatones and Premiers which unlike the Guilds, have intense followings, Canuckistanian Yorkvilles, Kalamazoos, and.................Guilds all waiting for someone to love them :cry: Without a (true) factoid that adds sheen to the T1 RVT reputation, these amps are gonna have to wait until tubistas start scraping the bottom of the 1960s barrel for tube gear of any kind. Too bad too; they're pretty good amps.
I'll check into the 8" CTS. If I can't get hold of it, would you be interested in a VGC 8" Jensen Syntox / Ceramic? I also have a very farty 8" Jensen alnico h-fi speaker; distorts as soon as the power is turned on....good for bb gun practice.....or maybe not..
[IMG:640:491]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r106/capnjuan/jensen8in.jpg[/img]
Valvos; my wife and I drove several of these in the early 1980s...240DLs and later a GL...no P1800s though krysh...would have been nice :)
Don't know the mfr as well as Siemens, Telefunken, Mullard but if you're looking for a pair of good-quality 6GW8s, I've got Mullards for you; PM me w/ your street address, Pay / PayPal DKL for $15, and they're yours shipped. Same deal for the ceramic Jensen but $20 Pay / PayPal to DKL, shipped to your music studio 8)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Don't know what's driving the margin out to the right....????

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Particularly the 15 inch models... :wink:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Coastie,

Here's an ad for something they call a German Valvo..............................

But aren't Valvos Swedish?

I think they mean "Velvo", as in Velvo Ubergrundt.
Very popular German musical combo from the late '60's - early '70's.
Headed up by Lieue Heinreed.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
krysh,

Great link to the P 1800. I'd forgotten that Simon Templar drove one. A friend of mine had one with about 300,00 American miles/KM on it.