Funky '76 M-80 at NYC Sam Ash on 48th St.

Jahn

Reaction score
selling for around 1400, and it's that cherry see-through mahoghany color. weighed a TON. couldn't believe how many frets up you could access with that double cutaway action. i played it horribly - i'm not a shredder. reminded me of a Brian May kinda feel. go check it out if you're in town - just letting you solidbody guys know!

Jahn

Reaction score
Went back there this weekend, it was still there. Criminal. Oh so heavy and oh so toneful.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Jahn,

Based on my experiance the 1980's M80 model with the maple top is heavier than the 1970's model. The 1980's model is thinner but heavier. I didn't find the the 1970's model to be that heavy. Over the years I have owned 3 different 1970's models (2-black & 1 walnut). I still own the walnut stained mahogany guitar. The 1970's M80 also has a very slim neck.

Interesting thing is that when I was younger I really liked the slim Guild necks. Now a days I go perfer bigger necks. My hand gets less fatigued with a larger non chunky neck.

As a matter of opinion I would say that overall the 24 fret neck of the S70, S300, S25, S250, S275 and M80 (1980's model) guitars are some of the best necks Guild ever produced for electric solidbody guitars-quick and fast with low action.

As I slow down I like the Bluesbirds and Nightbird necks. I also favor the Starfire 4/5 neck feel.

Looks like we can have a new thread about necks.

M

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like we can have a new thread about necks.

Could we do a thread on ankles first.

e7fe340c.jpg.thumb.jpg

Jahn

Reaction score
But 'tis the season to talk necks, no?

turkey.jpg

But yeah everyone in NYC go try that Guild over at Sam Ash. It's lonely.