Nursing Home Update

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stopped in to see Jerry & the D25 down at the home last night. Haven't seen him for a while, he had a leg amputated a while back & has been suffering from nasty complications. Every time I've been in to see him he's been too weak & sick to play. He's much improved, the numbness & weakness in his upper body has improved significantly & he's able to play again. I'm going back this afternoon with a bottle of polish one of my guitars to jam a while.

anyone curious about the background on this story check here:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/vie ... ight=jerry

We pass the D 25 back & forth a bit, Jerry comments my playing has improved significantly & brings me up to date on happenings at The Home

For a change he's not fixated on his physical ailments, which are many. He's back to running a weekly Karoake gig & playing most evenings.

Jerry was propositioned a few days ago. Yep, little old lady about 70 in a wheelchair, Rosie's her name, stopped him in the hallway, opened her shirt & flashed him. She says "You want some of this", "Your place or mine, doesn't matter, sooner the better". I wasn't there so I can't vouch for the truth of the story, but Jerry told it with a straight face, seems Rosie has cartoon characters of Mickie & Minnie Mouse tatoo'd on her chest, Micky on the left Minnie on the right, maybe it was the opposite, trying not to think about it. Rosie smokes too.

Then there was the episode with his 83 yr old roommate. Jerry comes back from lunch & discovers his roommate about halfway thru a solo afternoon delight. Jerry retreats to the hallway, directly an aide passes by & notices Jerry's disturbed. Jerry explains & the aide, conscientiously, decides she better check the old guys vitals. She goes in, does so, comes out & tells Jerry he's Ok, shouldn't be more than a couple more minutes.

My lady is an Occ Therapist & has worked these places for years, she tells me this is not a regular thing, it happens but seems to come in spurts. I couldn't make stuff like this up.

I'm calling my lawyer in the morning & have my Will changed, I want Kevorkian listed as a reference should I not drop dead cleanly.

This D 25 is earning her way in the world, one of very few bright spots in an otherwise dismal place. Makes me smile every time I see her. [img:338:450]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid219/p2b5c3ccf696a1ed5bd6bee4e9ba8bbc9/ebe6952c.jpg[/img]

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a joke I heard, but after reading that Jeff, maybe it's true.....

Guy in a nursing home, let's call him Jerry, strolling down the hall and a female resident, let's call her Rosie, jumps out of her room, throws open her robe and hollers;
"Super Pussy!"

Jerry keeps going.

Rosie is a bit perplexed, but undaunted waits for tomorrows stroll and pounces again;
"Super Pussy!"

Jerry continues on his way.

Rosie is determined to get a reaction out of him and sets up for the next days travels. As Jerry enters the cafeteria for lunch, Rosie jumps in front of him yet again, throws open the robe and yells;
"Super Pussy!"

Jerry, not missing a beat replies;
"I'll take the soup!"
[IMG:331:540]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/Graham_61/Granny_Smith.gif[/img]

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
That one is probably true, Graham! My dad, who ran retirement homes until he retired himself a few years ago, had a few anecdotes that maybe I'll save for Arlington!

But you remind me of a story about the old gent from the home who went for a stroll to the local house of ill repute. He kocked on the door, and when the madam answered, he looked up at her, gave her a big wink and announced, "I'm here for a woman!"

The slightly stunned madam scans the old gent, sees him wobbling on his cane and squinting through his glasses, and she says, "You?! You old shriveled, gnarly, toothless geezer! You can hardly walk, hardly see or hear.... I mean, Look at you! You've had it!!"

"I have?!", the geezer responded. "Oh. Then, what do I owe ya?"

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good for you, Jeff. Two thumbs up.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Oh come on Darryl, you should hear me play sometime.....if you could stand it. Yet they look forward to every time we play. Get out there!

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the nursing home, old Emma decided she was going to finally let it all hang out and do something outrageous and daring. While on the elevator she disrobed so she could streak the men's floor. When the door opened, she took off as fast as she could with her walker, buck naked.

As she went past two old geezers in the hallway, one said to the other "Wasn't that Emma?"

"Yeah", says the other, "and boy did her dress need ironing!" :lol:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
Don't think nursing homes a good venue in England. In the States, there is a good long tradition of Blues, Bluegrass and C&W so many of the residents probably played it and even if not, liked it so are glad for a guitarist to visit. You could expect the same in Ireland or Scotland with Gaelic music - but England - the residents tend to like WW2 songs - 'Bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover' or Whale meat again (in honor of the wartime diet).

I tend to do my playing in the local Folk Clubs - yes, there are still unacomanied folk singers ther, but a lot of instrument accompanied stuff - including Blues, Bluegrass, C&W and a lot of 60s stuff (and some Rock & Roll even). Went to the other end of our village to jam with Geoff (a regular visitor like me to 'Folk at the Oak' in the Royal Oak, Corsham), I wanted to test the Fisher/Martin pick up in the Guild D35, and Geoff has a load of PA equipment - plus a roomful of guitars (but no Guilds). Yes, it worked fine - Geoff said it was the loudest acoustic pick up he'd heard (and I use Martin extra lite strings on the Guild).

However, at 'the Oak' on Thursday, it won't be amped up.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Jerry Is,

You just gave me a great idea. I can take a banjo, mando, and guitar to homes where the residents can't have them. My dad is in a place where the residents can't have such things.

This makes me want to have one of my dogs trained as a therapy dog--they go in and visit the residents.

The people of father's era (@1920-1960) and the people that founded the US (@1750-1825) are the Americans I admire most. (There are lot of others around the world in different eras, too many to mention.) Anyway, there's not much time left to talk to these people.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The black face would definitely work for you Dr. H.

lone_minstrel.jpg