While I Was At You Tube.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I came back to this post play along with "The Thrill is Gone" & now am truly enlightened.

What a place!!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Peter Green's experience mirrors that of many ordinary people from the day who went down the rabbit hole and didn't get back.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
To capn (from hatten)

In my looney opinion, the biggest influence of my generation was not all of the ostensible progress, but rather all of the drug abuse we have now. IMHO one of worst people of all time was Timothy Leary. A lot of the progress was starting in the 1950s (MLK) and then pooped out when drugs hit. If somebody would give me evidence to the contrary, I'd be grateful, because I feel like a wonder wimp compared to the people of my parents' generation.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
In my looney opinion, the biggest influence of my generation (make that 'our generation' Hats; I'm nearly 60) ... not...ostensible progress ... the drug abuse we have now ... worst people of all time was Timothy Leary (and his bagman Richard Alpert a/k/a Baba Ram Dass) ... progress ... in the 1950s (MLK) ... pooped out when drugs hit.

I agree; drugs took the life out of the Civil Rights movement. No one told the underclass that smoking pot, dropping acid, and just 'hanging out' were for middle-class white kids only.

Kids who, if they didn't fall down the rabbit hole like Peter Green and if not squandered, would exercise their relative 'privilege' and get a real job one day. The underclass failed to understand that you could only drop out if you could get back in.

If I may, I think I'd also add the post-war, runaway inflation of the 1970s; a major factor in a lot of white, social 'contras' going straight; it was too painful to be poor. The middle-class white kids had some place to go; between 1968 and 1978, $15,000 / yr in income became worth $7,500 / year; woe to those in real poverty; not the same 'trap' for everyone else. Inflation was the train leaving the station and the 'ticket' was at least some socio-economic juice....those without...'Hey Bro, some crack?'

If somebody would give me evidence to the contrary, I'd be grateful,

can't, see above

because I feel like a wonder wimp compared to the people of my parents' generation.

In some respects, things were simpler for them; yes grittier with survival staring back at them like the head-light on the train - like the light we see (Coastie and the others see it too) the day after having had much too much to drink; that brutal, all-seeing eye thing - nothing can hide from it. The difference is that for us, a few hours later, the light softens; for them, it never dissipated whether they were drinking or not.

Disclaimer: not intended as a justification for messing with John Barleycorn.
When I get this straightened out, I'm gonna go have a drink.

Regards,