Tommy Emmanuel

Perry

Reaction score
Tommy playing all of "Classical Gas" on the Woodsongs Old ...
Watch video - 4min -
http://www.youtube.com/?v=TQJ1k2HMoRU

Saw him on PBS last night. He is one of the best guitarists I have ever seen!!! He has been playing since he was four !

Hope this link works for Tommy Emmanuel video....

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Awesome guitarist and entertainer. I'd seen that once, but could watch it a hunderd times.

Thanks for the post,
West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Perry,

Would you, or anyone here have any idea what brand guitar he's playing? At first I thought it said Martin, and was just a different Martin logo. Looking closely, I don't believe it does say Martin. I've seen Keith Urban play a guitar with the same logo, but again, I couldn't read it. I just can't quite make it out.

Anyone?

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well thank you my dear friend. They sound fabulous. I've got a CD of an Urban performance in which he's playing a maple "Maton" that just sounds incredible.

Thank you sir,
West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Like how pricey Graham? I did see any prices on the link Mark gave.

Coastie, Have you gotten one of those "Matons" yet? BY the way, is that a long "A" in Maton?

West

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:

Coastie, Have you gotten one of those "Matons" yet? BY the way, is that a long "A" in Maton?

West

First guitar I ever owned, West.

Bought coming up three years ago.

[IMG:640:480]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e82/coastie99/IMG_0542.jpg[/img]

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:

West

This site lists some prices, in Australian $$ which are slightly lower than US $ at the moment.

Prices run from approximately $900 - $5000 listed, then of course there's the Call us for price line...

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Coastie,

Tell me about the Maton? How old was she when you got her? How does it compare with your Guilds. What condition is it in? Where is your model in the pecking order of Matons? The sure sound good when the big boys play them.

West

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Coastie,

Tell me about the Maton? How old was she when you got her? How does it compare with your Guilds. What condition is it in? Where is your model in the pecking order of Matons? The sure sound good when the big boys play them.

West

Wisterious.

Bought it new, around three years ago. Cost was around NZ $1800, currently US $1400. Three years ago it would have been a little less expensive in US terms.

I'd just been persuaded by my nephew to take up guitar, and went over to Christchurch to check things out. This was planned as a strictly "tyre-kicking" exercise only !

Visited all the stores; ran the gauntlet of pimply counter- jerk kids, pricks who showed no interest in me, basically saw nothing that really appealed.
I should point out, that at this point in time I couldn't play a note, and my nephew is left-handed, so we were a bit handicapped !
In any case, nothing that I saw had that special kharma.

Last place we went to, is the local Maton man.
Greg knows the guy there; he's "Charlie" in Down Under's S200 post.
Greg starts blagging to Charlie, and I wander off to check things out.

I hear this little voice saying "Over here, over here", and there's my Maton !
It's got everything I'm looking for; small body, cutaway, electronics, satin finish, no flashy bollocks, and best of all, it has that "different" factor !
Greg does his best on it, but my mind was already made up. Gotta have it !

So the Visa balance gets hoovered out, right there and then.

Now, I'm already very well-read on guitar stuff (dangerous !), and I'm a compulsive modifier, so its gotta have gold grovers, Walrus Ivory nut/saddle/pins, and I eventually decide that it'd look pretty groovy with a Greenstone pickguard.
So, that's where we're at, and aesthetically, it pleases me to tiny pieces.

Sound ? Well, I dunno, I've only my F4 to compare it with, and that's an apples vs oranges kind of thing.
I don't know any other guitar players, so I can't compare it with anything.

Most importantly, it works for me. I couldn't give a rat's if a Gibson / Taylor / Martin is "better". When I desire "better" I'll go get a Guild.

Oh, and this model ( EBG808CL ) is a lower-order model in the Maton range.
And those in the know claim the electronics to be one of the best out there.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the story Gary, I'm sure you'll enjoy her for years. apparently they've been around for many years, I'm just getting around to hearing about them. Yours seems to have a very unique top. I like it.

Thanks,
West

The General

Reaction score
I have to admit Tommy Emmanuel is one awesome guitar player. I sure would like to see him in concert one day! :lol:

Martin