Differences in Guild s-100 reissues?

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the exact differences in the reissues of the s-100 from the 1990s compared to the originals in the 60s and 70s. I know the pickups are obviously different but was wondering more about neck shape and things like that.

Firebird

Reaction score
What changes were made in the pickups between the older and the newer models?

Reaction score
The bridge is a big difference. The vintage S-100's had a roller bridge and the later reissues have a gotoh tune-o-matic. I had a 95 reissue that had a tune-o-matic but it was much better than the gotoh on later reissues. I think it was an original Guild bridge too. The tailpiece seems to be a lot closer to the bridge on the vintage S-100's too. My 73 is about 6.5 pounds as compared to 8-8.5 on my reissues I've had in the past. Also, my 95 reissue had a rounded fretboard heel like the vintage ones and the later reissues had a square heel. The original finishes were lacquer and the reissues are something else. Maybe poly?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
honkycat,

Greetings.

My 73 is about 6.5 pounds as compared to 8-8.5 on my reissues I've had in the past.

That's definitely important, especially for young guys who can still stand up. And for guys like me who have a spine that's as warped as a Gretsch neck.

Zom is looking for an S-100. Zom, are you reading this?

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
tom-tom,

What does a -ibson SG weigh? I'll be they are a lot heavier, just comparing a Guild bluesbird and a -ibson Les Paul.

But does anybody know if a startfire 4 weighs less than a -ibson 335?

zom-zom

Reaction score
I've had four SGs, they all weighed different amounts but all were/are very light. Weight has never really been a consideration to me.

Reaction score
All the SG's I've had have been very light. There's just very little body wood to the design. The reissue S-100's I've owned have all been a bit heavier - each about 8 lbs. My 73 S-100 is like 6.5 lbs. Very light and comfortable and it resonates beautifully.

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I noticed that sweet s-100 on ebay today as well... i didn't even know they made sunbursts? If i had a job right now i think i would be taking that baby home for sure.

Reaction score
I remember seeing an orig S-100 online that only has 1 toggle switch. Everything looks the same as with all other orig s-100, like fretboard inlays, pickguard, headstock, etc. except for the toggle switch. It didn't had that phase switch.

Do you guys have an idea what era it came from? 60's or 70's?

danerectal

Reaction score
I remember seeing an orig S-100 online that only has 1 toggle switch. Everything looks the same as with all other orig s-100, like fretboard inlays, pickguard, headstock, etc. except for the toggle switch. It didn't had that phase switch.

that's probably a 1970. I was looking over some Guild lit online and found some promo sheets. they advertise 1972 s-100s as having a new phase switch.