[OT] music can be a spiritual experience

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey folks,

something a bit off topic. a few of you may know me as an guildaddicted guitarman but three years ago I accepted the role of a bassplayer, too, and even more begin to love it.
when I was seduced to make music 25 years ago I started as a bassplayer in a trash-rock band, because nobody else was willing to play the bass. well, my love for music was defined, but half a year later my ego told me: bass is not enough. you need chicks, money and fame, be the lead-guitarist. I did was I was told, and 25 years later I have become a not too bad guitarplayer, but no money, no chicks and no fame and still so much love for music left.
some difficult circumstances made me pick up the bass again, because somebody had to play the basslines for my songs. luck was on my side - a former boss gave me a present 3 years ago: a jazzbass body made by esp in the 80's nicely laquered in fiesta metallic red, never used, finest wood, but it took me a year to finish this project. my luthier had an old esp jazzbassneck which needed a repair, the rest of the parts have been a deal @ eBay, he mounted everything, and I was the proud owner of a cheap outstanding low tone instrument which should have been pimped because of its good substance, which I did 2 weeks ago. But - I had a bass again and started rehearsing. A few weeks later I began to visit the local open stage-jams....and became a bassplayer again. Half a year later an afghan band asked me to join on the bass and my first- no, to tell the truth, second (the first was in old hamburg - got 100 € for playing on a gig for fusion improvisation) payed gig was in Montreal on June 5th, 24 1/2 years after I began to make music.
This year.
Isn't it great?
Overseas - a second gig one day later in toronto, everything included and very good fee extra? well, but I still felt that I am a guitarplayer, but nobody was interested, too much competition.
So I accepted my fortune and was one of the most consistently bassplayers @ these sessions. This led to another organizer, who asked me to play bass on their event, too. I did and do. The first time we had a sponsor. the finest backline I ever had, sponsored by the 2nd biggest music shop in hamburg: http://www.no-1.de/ and the manufatorers: shure, mapex, korg, crate...
I already knew that I am very lucky...until tonight.
you know, I am very critical about me making music. I recognize every single mistake I do and hate me for doing this. But I am working on it. But I was told that I can groove, and I try to.
Tonight was a special night. Like every Friday we were supposed to jam, play some realbook stuff, improvise an do some good spirit and athmoshpere. But something was different.
The organizer has got really good connections to the pro-musician-scene and we have got a very special guest: http://www.robbie-smith.de/ He is one of the best drummers I ever heard, not to mention have played with, but I had to tonight. I really was afraid, but I said to myself: just do nothing different than in the usual jams, and I did. during this 15 minutes last night I have had the most beautiful moments fo my musical "career". and after we played 2 songs, this robbie smith said to me: man, good groove! Well, what can I say. I am one of the most luckiest men on earth at the moment, especially because I had recognized, that the audience had noticed this special moment, too.
So, I just wanted to share one of the greatest musical moments of my life with you. Thank you for being here and lettting me share this moment with you.
Don't give up your dreams!

all the best,

michael

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Wonderful Michael, nice to hear that the passion is still there, and the drive to be your best.

My dream is going from an E to a Bm to a G without biting my tongue off. :shock:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
JerryR said:
Graham said:
Wonderful Michael, nice to hear that the passion is still there, and the drive to be your best.

My dream is going from an E to a Bm to a G without biting my tongue off. :shock:

Smedays I even have trouble with G, C, D :roll:

And somedays I have trouble with this damn sticking keyboard!

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
JerryR said:
Graham said:

Smedays I even have trouble with G, C, D :roll:

And somedays I have trouble with this damn sticking keyboard!
[IMG:383:317]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r126/Graham_61/laughing1.gif[/img]

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
Graham said:

That's the great thing playing bass:
most of the time just one note preferably in time. :wink:

Oh my god, I love these magic moments when you play and something really unique and big happens. one of these rare moments (I only remember 2, yesterday and one concert in 1994) when you are able to watch yourself playing from outside and absolutely enjoy what you hear and you are able to play like you have never played before and when a small bunch of people becomes one and the force is with you :) .
Then I know why I can not stop making music and still try to become better.
It was such a great evening.

all the best
michael

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
ThumbsUp.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This guy looks like Willie Nelson's sleigh driver....the real Gaham may or may not be the guy behind the hand/nose combo that we've been mooned with a few times here....or it's his next door neighbor.

krysh

Reaction score
Guild Total
I wonder how much GB of pictures sleep in grahams computer :D

all the best

michael

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hard to tell; as I understand it, few reside on his machine; he copies them to the local pc, uploads to a photohost; thereafter no need to save 'originals' on pc.

This is assumptions by me, the details are a closely kept G-secret.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hard to tell; as I understand it, few reside on his machine; he copies them to the local pc, uploads to a photohost; thereafter no need to save 'originals' on pc.

:shock: That ought to save a few megs, huh?

I should do that one day. :D

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes, once loaded up, no need to retain; the host doesn't need to 'look down' to see the original. At some point, the host is going to ask for fees; out of 'free' space, G-man must pay...

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Your stuff is so funny, it's the best but you ought to consider dumping all the old stuff....it doesn't matter how funny or cute it was at the moment, no point in paying fees to sustain 'links' to Image files about which no one gives a puha...or scrotal heinie...4th stoly.

j

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
May I ask how much they charge?