How do S-100s compare to various Gibson SGs? Do P-90s fit?

wombat

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate it if anyone could help answer some questions I have about the Guild S-100s. I love the sound of the singlecut 50s Les Paul Jrs. I love good rhythm playing with a Fender, Vox or Marshall, and on the whole I prefer the sound of P-90s to Gibson humbuckers which can tend to get muddy in some applications. There's something about a slab of mahogany with a P-90 on it. I have a lot of time for the Guild pickups too - I have played a Starfire VI which I thought had a great humbucker sound - nice and powerful but with plenty of cut. I sometimes wish my Jr had two pickups and I have often looked longingly at the Guild S-100s. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. How does the sound of the S-100 compare sonically to the Les Paul Jrs or to the SG Specials (P-90 equipped)?

2. How does the sound of the S-100 compare with that of the humbucker equipped SGs?

2. Is there any difference in sound or neck profiles between the different eras of S-100s? I love the chunky necks of the early LPJs. How are the necks on the S-100s? I hear all kinds of horror storys about thin necks and unstable neck joints on various eras of the SGs.

3. Will P-90s fit in an S-100? Of course, I may like the stock pickups but it's a consideration.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinions you can offer. There's no substitute for playing one but I just don't see them in shops round here or second hand.

Thanks again,
Wombat

Dreamlander

Reaction score
I can't answer all your questions but the necks on the early 70's s-100's i have played are thinner than your average sg for sure. They are also quite a bit thinner than the late 90's reissues, I can't say for the early 90's reissues since I think they are a bit different. I haven't had or heard of any problems about the necks being unstable though.

wombat

Reaction score
Hi Dreamlander, thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to trying one out. Neck preference is a funny thing. I have an early Seventies D-55 and an Eighties GF-25, both of which have very slim necks but which are perfect for me. On the other hand, I love the fat neck on my Junior for electric playing. I'm sure there's so much more to playability than simply width or depth.

I was stunned by the power of the Starfire humbuckers and I imagine the S-100 will be a punchier version of that. Different to P-90s though. I just wondered if the P-90s would work. That said, I'm very wary about swapping parts out of guitars, apart from the odd bone saddle upgrade.

Thanks again

breogan

Reaction score
Hi! Long ago since my last post. I have a S-100 reissue 97' black, I'll try to answer your questions.

wombat said:
1. How does the sound of the S-100 compare sonically to the Les Paul Jrs or to the SG Specials (P-90 equipped)?
2. How does the sound of the S-100 compare with that of the humbucker equipped SGs?

General tone of the S-100 is warmer and fuller compare this SG's. SG have so little wood that tone is very "airy", S-100 feel more sustancial and that is reflected in the tone. Now some restriction apply... S-100 used to have PAF type pickups in the 70's and when they were reissued they opted for the popular 59/JB combo. Sg's have a lot of different pickups combinations, from low output PAF's to heavy output magnet pickups. Each one of them are a different animal itself.

wombat said:
2. Is there any difference in sound or neck profiles between the different eras of S-100s? I love the chunky necks of the early LPJs. How are the necks on the S-100s? I hear all kinds of horror storys about thin necks and unstable neck joints on various eras of the SGs.

I haven't tried any S-100 from the 70's but mine has a wide neck with medium depth. It fits my hand great, it's full and leaves no empty room on my palm. Hard to explain.

wombat said:
3. Will P-90s fit in an S-100? Of course, I may like the stock pickups but it's a consideration.

No, P90's won't fit without a modification. But there are some humbucker sized P90 on the market. Gibson has the P94 and Seymour Duncan sells the Phat Cat. This last one is a great pickup, not a traditional P90 tone, but softer and warmer, and still with a lot of single coil quack. I am considering myself to install one pair in mine.

wombat

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply Breogan. SInce my post I've managed to find a Seventies S-100 at a reasonable price. I'm very impressed with it. Here's an attempt at a description:

Sound: great in all three positions pickup positions. Great ringing rhythm sound, good for rock riffs. Not muddy at all, even in the neck pickup position. Phase switch is useable and gives a thinner, scooped Tele (both pickups) sound. Sounds fantastic unplugged or with my Vibrochamp, as does my Jr (think rock - Stones, The Who etc).

Neck: wide, medium depth as you described your '97. Flattish fingerboard. Very easy to play.

All in all, a very solid guitar that sounds good whatever you do to it. It's a slightly different sound to my Jr (hard to explain how - I haven't done an extensive A-B between the two yet and am not sure I care to - it's a little beside the point) but it's certainly more versatile. At the end of the day, I wasn't looking for a copy of my Jr - I think I just love that combination of a hog body with punchy pickups and the S-100 is a very successful variation of that kind of guitar. It's funny how not all such guitars do the same. I thought the PRS McCarty Soapbar might do it for me but it didn't at all - I don't think it was just the maple cap making a difference. I haven't managed to play a P-90 equipped SG yet, but I can see if they are generally less substantial that they might sound more airy.

Thanks for the pickup suggestions. It sounds like the Phat Cats would be interesting. I'd also be interested in hearing some Lollars, which I believe are standard P-90 sized pickups and will not fit in the S-100. That said, I don't feel any inclination to change out the stock pickups. Thanks again.

Wombat

wombat

Reaction score
Wow, who are we to argue? Sounds like one of the reissues - didn't the Seventies' models only come in cherry or walnut? I'd be interested to see how the two compare. I was never a fan of black finishes on guitars though - it show up my greasy paw prints far too easily. :D

wombat

Reaction score
(with apologies to 'midnite' your black D-25 of course)

danerectal

Reaction score
The 70s s-100s came in a natural, cherry and black. toward the end of the 70s they even had a sunburst one. I've never seen a black one in person, but I'm quite confident they're out there.

from my experience, the early 70s (1970-1974or5) neck has the lightest feel, and a slimmer profile than reissues or late 70s. It seems they used the late 70s s-100 for the model for the later reissues by the feel. The old adjust-o-matic roller bridge makes an outstanding difference in feel and tone, it really takes advantage of the hot hb-1s.

I don't really think there's much of any comparison between the 70s hb-1 and a P-90. Single coil: humbucker:: apple: orange. The hb-1 is surprisingly bright for a humbucker, not as chunky as P-90s that I've played. I did see a bluesbird once with duncan phat cats, and the owner swore by them, so they probably sound better than the original duncan 59s that came in the reissues.

all in all, it's true that most of your tone comes from the acoustic capabilities of your wood, which shoots the whole a-b comparison full of holes.