A Midsummer Night's Dream

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
As threatened, day by day updates on 'The Play' (no I'm not allowed to wield an axe in case it drives the audience away).

Dress rehearsals out the way yesterday - a few relatively minor disasters (like me not getting onstage in time after a quick costume change - not quick enough!) but only minor line forgets. Tonight's the first night. Beginning to realise why I haven't done this for 28 years and took up singing instead.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Jerry, I remember a story about a guy whose only line in the play was "Hark, I hear the cannon's roar" He repeated it to himself over and over so he wouldn't blow it when the time came for him to speak. When the time came, the cannon went off with a loud BOOM, and the actor yelled "What the hell was that?" :lol:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, and the little boy on his opening night, whose line to the little girl was, 'I come, I come to snatch a kiss, and fill your soul with hope!' With stage fright, came out 'I come, I come to kiss your snatch, and fill your hole with soap!'

Went well on our first night. Ok, it rained in the second half, were in the open and I had to bring my last act cozzie home to dry out, but a full house and a really appreciative audience. I'm ready for the fray tonight.

The website about the company is http://www.shakespearelive.com if you want to check it out and get a flavor.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Second night went well - and didn't rain :) Night off tonight due to weird British booze licencing laws - can't do more tha 3 nights without a more expensive licence or something. Thursday, Friday nights, Saturday Matinée and Saturday night still to do.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[img:300:225]http://www.shakespearelive.com/images/galleryall_for_one.jpg[/img]

Wow !!!

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last night OK - but not the best which so far was Tuesday. Stayed dry at least. The guy was there filming it for posterity so will have caught a nice shot of Hippolyta (As Theseus I've just married her in the play) tripping over going up the steps on her last exit. Pace had dropped back a bit after our night off, and as the play was entered for 'The Rosebowl' competition and the judges were there last night, that was unfortunate.

Rain seems to be easing off here, so I'm hoping for another dry night. Crits were good in the press or the play as a whole.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Only this year its 'alls well that ends well' - leastways I hope it will. Supposed to be 2 full dress rehearsals today. Audience will be in a big covered stand and we are at the mercy of the elements - well today was torrential rain, forked lightening, thunder the lot - no costumes today just waterproofs - so the dress rehearsal (weather permitting) will be actually in front of the first night's paying audience :!: Not good :(

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
You're obviously a man of breeding Jer. We're into inbreeding in these parts.

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First night last night - effectively the dress rehearsal due to the climatic conditions on Sunday, but in front of a paying audience. We got through it with a few embarrasing pauses, but not from your truly who managed to deliver all of his few lines in the eneral direction of the enemy :mrgreen: Now for tonight....... :roll:

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
JerryR said:
http://www.shakespearelive.com/webalbums/midsummer/photos/dream00021.html

Above is a link to a photo from the actual play (we set it late Victorian). More can be found on the website if interested. Try as I might I can't copy them here - enough trouble copying from photobucket and I can't face copying them there first!

very cool jerry, congrats. :)

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
krysh said:
JerryR said:
http://www.shakespearelive.com/webalbums/midsummer/photos/dream00021.html

Above is a link to a photo from the actual play (we set it late Victorian). More can be found on the website if interested. Try as I might I can't copy them here - enough trouble copying from photobucket and I can't face copying them there first!

very cool jerry, congrats. :)

BTW - it was last year's play in late Victorian - this year I WAS IN TIGHTS :mrgreen:

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
JerryR said:
...BTW - it was last year's play in late Victorian - this year I WAS IN TIGHTS :mrgreen:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

GRAHAMSTER!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: