Info wanted about late 50's Guild amp (Master model?)

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have just bought this amp from ebay. It's a 2x6L6 amp with tremolo and a 12" speaker.
It was advertised as a Guild Master Amp, but am not sure if the model name is correct.
Photos are below (taken from the auction page).
I haven't got it yet. In the meantime, I'd like to have all possible info, details and comments about this amp.
Do you guys know it?
Can you suggest web sources for this amp?

TIA,
Carlo

guild_amp_1.jpg

guild_amp_2.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi slidincharlie,

The amp you have is a model 99-J. It should say it on the label mounted inside the cab. The serial number is also on the sticker. Later models have it stenciled on the control panel. Is the paper label missing? What is the S/N?

Guild began to transition away from the "masteramp" designs by mid 1950's. I don't know the exact date. The style of amp you have began to appear around 1956. Guild issued a variety of amps. 50-J, 66-J, 99-J, 100-J and 200-S in this style. I have seen this style of amp with a variety of logo. The Masteramp logo, Guild script log on the grill cloth, no logo and the Guild Blockletter logo. The 99-J and 100-J use 6L6 power tubes.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Carlo: Link to three Guild amp schematics including one labeled 'Master' c. 1959 w/ 2X6L6s and footswitched Tremolo. Might be like yours, maybe not.
Guild amp schematics at Schematic Heaven

Is the speaker original?

Congratulations!
cj

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
cj,
thanks for the link. I knew it.
The speaker looks like an original '59 Jensen P12R. But I still have to wait maybe one week for the postman...

Any comment, previous experience, anything about such amps?

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Matsickma is the man on Guild amps. I have a Guild T1 RVT but it's a very different amp; good luck with yours!

cj

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
matsickma said:
Hi slidincharlie,
The amp you have is a model 99-J. It should say it on the label mounted inside the cab. The serial number is also on the sticker. Later models have it stenciled on the control panel. Is the paper label missing? What is the S/N?

Thanks for the info.
Below is a photo of the inside label:
guild_amp_3.jpg

The Jensen speaker is coded 220839 (39th week of '58, right?), and it's a P12Q, not P12R as I stated above.

mickj

Reaction score
Hello slidincharlie -

I have an identical looking and configured amp, but mine doesn't have the "door" for the power cord just an open bay like a Fender twin reverb. The ghost label says SONO A (or SONOLA) and the serial is 1102, speaker is a Jensen DP-ALINCO-5 P15N code 220832. Sweet sound. I'm sure you'll enjoy.

Mick

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi mickj,

Is the SONOLA name a label on the front of the amp in block letters? I have seen this name tag in the location the Guild block nameplate is located. By any chance does SONOLA mean GUILD in Spanish?

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
matsickma said:
By any chance does SONOLA mean GUILD in Spanish? M
Hi Mike:according to http://ets.freetranslation.com/
sonola in Spanish = sonola in English
Guild in English = gremio in Spanish
sonola in Italian = sonola in English
Guild in English = corporazione in Italian

There's a company d/b/a Sonola that makes accordians:
sonola.jpg

eBay Sonola Accodian
?????

regards,
John

gilded

Reaction score
Re: Sonola

This is just a guess, but Sonola is/was a longtime Italian accordian manufacturer.
I did a quick Google search under 'sonola' , then 'sonola accordians' and learned that in
1955, Carvin sold Sonola accordians (as listed in the 1955 Carvin catalogue).

It's not too much of a stretch to think that Guild produced 15" speaker-ed amps, as a 'house brand' amp,
for that accordian company to market in the USA along with their imported squeeze boxes, is it?

As usual, I'm sure somebody knows a lot more about this than me. Speaking of 'knowing more',
I meant to get Han's Book on Saturday. It's in stock at a local music store, but I didn't get over to that part of the world.

mickj

Reaction score
Matsickma -

There had been a name plate on the front, but was long gone when I got it. There is just the GUILD paper label on the inside with the model name and serial number. I suspose it could be an accordian amp, they weren't that uncommon back then, but I would find it odd that GUILD would put their name and their guarentee on an amp produced for someone else. But hey, things were different in the 50's.

Mick

matsickma

Reaction score
Guild amps of that time period right into the early 1960's usually have an input for an accordian. The 100J in my basement has it (Acc) so I am sure yours does also. I think we now have an answer to the Sonola labeling. It looks like Guild provided amps to Sonola for accordian applications.

The practice of a company selling their products under a different name isn't unique to Guild or the 1950's. It seems to be a common practice for many items thru today.

M

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
There's a company d/b/a Sonola that makes accordians.

gilded said:
Re: Sonola
This is just a guess, but Sonola is/was a longtime Italian accordian manufacturer.
I did a quick Google search under 'sonola' , then 'sonola accordians' and learned that in
1955, Carvin sold Sonola accordians (as listed in the 1955 Carvin catalogue).

mickj said:
There had been a name plate on the front, but was long gone when I got it. There is just the GUILD paper label on the inside with the model name and serial number. I suspose it could be an accordian amp, they weren't that uncommon back then, but I would find it odd that GUILD would put their name and their guarentee on an amp produced for someone else. But hey, things were different in the 50's. Mick

matsickma said:
I think we now have an answer to the Sonola labeling. It looks like Guild provided amps to Sonola for accordian applications. M

Well guys,

The Sonola story is covered in The Guild Guitar Book ( page 9). Al Dronge made quite a bit of money with the Sonola business during the accordion boom and that's how he had been able to start Guild Guitars at the end of 1952. By the time the company moved from New York to Hoboken, NJ in 1956, the accordion business was still flourishing, illustrated by this little ad that announced the move to the new location. Note that the Sonola business is mentioned first!

SonolaGuild_1.jpg

Sincerely,
Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Hans and thanks for not holding all of us who have your book up to more intense ridicule; we would deserve it!

Speaking for myself, every time I open it, my eyes run to the extraordinary pictures; I think someone here once described them as "Guitarotica" ... it's scholar-quality research with eye-popping pics.

:oops: cj :oops:

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Hans,

Great info. I now recall seeing that tid-bit of info in your book. I had not made the connection between the amp line and the venture into accordians.

Thanks,

M

mickj

Reaction score
Hans -

Thanks for the reminder. I too had forgotten about the Sonola connection in your book. A bit of clarification however, I didn't mean to imply that companies, including Guild, didn't manufacture equipment for other companies to sell.

My point was that since there was a standard Guild label with a Guild assigned serial number and with the model name Sonola written in that, at least in this case, Sonola could be the model or type name of a line of Guild amps much as a model 99-J or Master was and not necessarily an indication it was manufactured for the Sonola company to sell under their banner.

Without finding one with the original exterior nameplate in place or some other documentation one way or another, I guess I'll have to keep wondering.

Thanks,

Mick

gilded

Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Thanks Hans and thanks for not holding all of us who have your book up to more intense ridicule; we would deserve it!

Speaking for myself, every time I open it, my eyes run to the extraordinary pictures; I think someone here once described them as "Guitarotica" ... it's scholar-quality research with eye-popping pics.

:oops: cj :oops:

matsickma said:
Hi Hans,

Great info. I now recall seeing that tid-bit of info in your book. I had not made the connection between the amp line and the venture into accordians.

Thanks,

M

gilded sez:

Hah, I didn't have the book, so I don't have to worry about 'intense ridicule'!

Still, in a showing of Solidarity with my Less-Fortunate Brothers (see above), I have just this day purchased Hans' book. Now, with any luck, I too will be able to forget stuff and be gently reminded of my lapses.

Hang on fellas, I'll have it read in a week! You guys won't be Alone for Long!!

gilded

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Guild Total
One year later...
I am re-starting the overhaul job wher I left it a long time ago.
RThis amp is giving me many headaches.
The chassis doesn't quite match the schematic (see below) in many ways.
In particular I am not sure if this amp wants 6L6 or 6V6 in the power section :?
The schematic says 6_6GT and 6L6GT. In the first instance the underscore could be a semi-deleted "L"... BUT... those GT suffix? Doesn't it apply only to a 6V6? I've never seen a 6L6"GT" ! :?
Owners of this amp and other knowledgeable people please chime in!
--Carlo

1672792013970.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
GT stands for "glass tube'. The original 6L6s were metal tubes. 6v6s were originally intended for use in car radios, if I remember my tube lore correctly.
In this case, the amp is looking for 6L6's. :D