The Dudepit

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There was a Guild Bass forum here. The parent site was known to be undergoing some changes circa August 1. However the forum link does not work and the parent link gives a message that implies the techs at the hosting site have been sleeping for three days. There has been some speculation that the person hosting the site is having cash flow problems and that the site just may be gone. If anyone knows where the site has migrated to or can tell what happened to it I, at least, would be curious. Guild geezer commentary and "humor" also welcomed since there seems to be no way to avoid it :)

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's back in a way, but after digging around, it looks like it's still the old version. Not sure when 3.0 will be up...

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Down again!

I picked up Bless Its Pointed Little Head today, based on a recommendation in a thread at the 'Pit, and was able to find the thread, but as of a few minutes ago, it's gone! Maybe DP ver. 3.0 is around the corner?!!!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
hieronymous said:
Down again!

I picked up Bless Its Pointed Little Head today, based on a recommendation in a thread at the 'Pit, and was able to find the thread, but as of a few minutes ago, it's gone! Maybe DP ver. 3.0 is around the corner?!!!

It's back now (8 Aug 07 1300 EST). Pointer to the thread recommending Pointed Head, please?

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=14468&highlight=bless+pointed

Right in the first post. Some interesting stuff if you wade through the whole thing. The thread is from about a year and a half ago.

So, on this album (Bless Its Pointed...) I can finally hear the vaunted Cassady/Guild sound. Sounds great! I'm just not that big a fan of the Airplane - not that they're bad and I know they were hugely influential, but it's just not my cup of tea...

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
hieronymous said:
Right in the first post. Some interesting stuff if you wade through the whole thing. The thread is from about a year and a half ago.

Very interesting thread. Thanks. I seem to recall seeing the SF w/Gibson PU that started the thread when it was for sale or maybe it was done more than once. Sad to think that 30 years ago replacing the Bi-sonic with a Gibson was considered an improvement. Kind of makes you wish someone just bought a Gibson bass to begin with, but...

I bought Bless Its Pointed Little Head, on vinyl when it was a "New Release". However I didn't pay much attention to Jack Casady at the time. 30 some odd years later when I discovered that my 67 SF I was now a sought after vintage bass, I went back to the recording and listened to Jack. Perhaps it is wishful thinking on my part but there is something in the tone on that recording that I can hear in my SF (but not my JS - so some of it is the instrument and not just the inadequacies of the player).

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
As of 0850 EST Aug. 17, The Dudepit and http://www.vintagebass.com don't seem to be responding. Could be me but it may be the previously advertised upgrade is now in progress.

Edit: Well, it's back as of 1430 EST. No obvious changes nor announcements as to why.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Interesting. They have a topic category called "Al's Nudie Bar"

Pretty tame stuff, posts sort of run along our own Geezer Manor category. possible exceptions.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jeff said:
Interesting. They have a topic category called "Al's Nudie Bar"

Pretty tame stuff, posts sort of run along our own Geezer Manor category. possible exceptions.

The Dudepit hosts a Guild Basses forum which is frequented by some pretty interesting and knowledgeable people, as well as the likes of me.

On the other hand if you dig you can find things like this which could certainly start its own discussion about sheep, camels and why Australia? here.

And sooner or later the mildly not safe for work thread featuring photos of "babes with basses" will start up again...

Kap'n

Reaction score
hieronymous said:
So, on this album (Bless Its Pointed...) I can finally hear the vaunted Cassady/Guild sound. Sounds great! I'm just not that big a fan of the Airplane - not that they're bad and I know they were hugely influential, but it's just not my cup of tea...

Casady is an absolute monster on that album. The only person even in his league on electric bass back in '68 was Jack Bruce. Check out Somebody to Love and 3/5 Mile for some great lines.

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Kap'n said:
hieronymous said:
Casady is an absolute monster on that album. The only person even in his league on electric bass back in '68 was Jack Bruce. Check out Somebody to Love and 3/5 Mile for some great lines.
Yeah, I've been cranking the album in my car when I get a chance. That and '72-'73 Dead...

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
The Dude Pit is undergoing yet another transformation. Go here and you will know as much as I know. The key changes seem to be that the new Pit will combine features currently available on different sites such as craigslist and MySpace. Oh yes, the old content is gone and you will have to re-register when the site comes online in a few days.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
For those who care, the new DudePit is back up. The site is trying to be the social networking site for bassists and, as such, it supports all kinds of stuff like blogs, music and video libraries, interest groups, forums and so on. I have not rejoined yet. There were some mandatory sign in questions that I had no idea how to answer or did not want to answer because I am sometimes anti-social. From what I could see without being registered there are a lot of new features that I have no interest in at all, and no Guild specific content yet.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
... or did not want to answer because I am sometimes anti-social.
Haven't seen the questions but, just guessing, maybe you were considering these among your responses: (1) 'What's it to you?' (2) 'None of your business', or the old favorite (3) 'F-Off' or its common variant 'Shove It'. If yes and you think this to be AS, then .... ya probably got a lot of company... What do you think they they're doing there; trying to screen out unpleasant people?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
fronobulax said:
... or did not want to answer because I am sometimes anti-social.
Haven't seen the questions but, just guessing, maybe you were considering these among your responses: (1) 'What's it to you?' (2) 'None of your business', or the old favorite (3) 'F-Off' or its common variant 'Shove It'. If yes and you think this to be AS, then .... ya probably got a lot of company... What do you think they they're doing there; trying to screen out unpleasant people?

<snicker/>

Actually, one of the questions was "Tags". Now to me "tags" are what gangs or graffiti "artists" use to mark their territory but I think in the context of the Dude Pit registration they are supposed to be keyword that people can search on to find me. I'm not sure I want to be found. Furthermore, if I tagged my self with "Shove it" I'm afraid someone would come along and find all of the other malcontents who also used "Shove it" as a tag and then I'd have to deal with people who thought we had something in common :)

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I went to the Dudepit; under reorganization ... couldn't find any questions. Maybe in the BB environment, people acquire tags; the guy who knows alot about bridges, strings, or whatever. Not sure I'd be interested in tagging myself either. Maybe 'Shove It' isn't such a good idea; I was sort of thinking that there were personal, intrusive questions being asked.