Bluegrass gig

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Did a bluegrass gig for about 300 people at a private party last night, we had 'em dancing in the aisles! Got paid and all the BBQ ribs we could eat, too, it doesn't get much better than that. :lol:

What a bonus, my old fiddle player joined us for this gig, boy that adds a whole new dimension to it :D We had him, the banjo player, standup bass, and I alternated between the mandolin and the D-25.

Added bonus, had several requests for business cards, should translate into a few more paying gigs :D

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Dredful One,

A paid professional ha? You go guy. Ribs were beef or pork? :D

West R Lee

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pork, of course :D

Yeah, we've been doing paid gigs once or twice a month, I'm thinking of doing more. Currently designing new business cards. Private parties, weddings, etc. Could do a lot more, but none of us want to do the smoky bar scene anymore :x

Just got offered a permanent (part-time) job as music director of a church I've been helping out at one Sunday a month, seriously contemplating doing this too.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:D Well you know me, I hate to be the one to say "I told ya so", but it sure seems like opportunity is hitting you from all sides. Call it what goes around, karma......me, I just call it blessing!

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
drednut said:
Pork, of course :D

Yeah, we've been doing paid gigs once or twice a month, I'm thinking of doing more. Currently designing new business cards. Private parties, weddings, etc. Could do a lot more, but none of us want to do the smoky bar scene anymore :x

Just got offered a permanent (part-time) job as music director of a church I've been helping out at one Sunday a month, seriously contemplating doing this too.

ENVY :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I really want to jack in work and make a living playing and acting :cry: Bit late for a midlife crisis - 58 :roll:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm with you, Jerry! I'm presently unemployed, so I'm lining up all the cash gigs I can get. I think someday my epitaph will read "Can't they just pay me to play my guitar?" :lol:

Yep, still on my trek to international rock stardom... :wink:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
"I alternated between the mandolin and the D-25.", huh? sounds familiar :)

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Played a gig where the only pay I was gonna get was all the beer and food I could consume. Poor folks today they are. :wink:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Doc, I've played plenty of those, but I don't drink anymore, partially due to those kind of gigs :lol:

Ya know, in retrospect, I think my playing/singing skill level became inversely proportional to the amount I drank :roll: I sensed it was time to get off the stage when I had to close one eye so I would only see one microphone in front of me...

Besides, I'm plenty capable of embarrassing myself on stage when I'm sober, I don't need any chemical help:lol:

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Way to go Dred! '..inverse proportion..' indeed; after a few, you might sound good to you but if the audience hasn't had few...

Good luck - go get 'em.

John

Firebird

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a bluegrasser too from way back! What tunes did you play at your gig Drednut? Keep on pick'n.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
You know, lots of standard Bluegrass fare plus a few more that we like: I'll Fly Away, Pig In A Pen, The Crawdad Song, Me and Jesus, I Saw The Light, Orange Blossom (we had our fiddler with us), Dueling Banjos, Battle of New Orleans, PPL's "Pickin' To Beat The Devil", Prine's "Paradise", we even put the Monkees hit "Last Train To Clarksville" to bluegrass :D

Firebird

Reaction score
Pick'n to beat the devil! What a great song!! I never ever heard anyone else but me and Pure Prarie League do it. Its off their Two Lane Highway album if I remember right. Fabulous song selection, I wish I were there.

I remember doing a bluegrass gig years ago, at a fancy-pants art auction. Why they hired a bluegrass band I have no idea but before we were through, we had had 'em dancin on the tables. God bless alcohol.

Keep on pick'n! Any followup jobs yet?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had another bluegrass gig this past weekend, as a matter of fact, while our fellow LTGers were out tearing up Arlington.

Yeah, Pickin' To Beat The Devil is a standard in our reportoire, that's about the only one they let me play the 5-string banjo on (because I'm the only one who knows how to play it on the banjo) :D

Interesting how PPL features a piano on that song, not really a traditional bluegrass instrument!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a blast Dread. We missed you this weekend. I did dedicate a song to you though........"Paradise"!

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks West! We were doing that one about 1pm on Saturday. Don't you love it when nobody in the audience has even ever heard of John Prine? I'll ask, "How many John Prine fans out there?" and they all look like a bunch of deer in the headlights... :shock: