Graham Nash Songs For Beginners

SugarMountain

Reaction score
songs4.jpg

anyone else dig this record??

my dad gave me this record, about 2 or 3 years ago when i first got a turntable...he'd bought it when it first came out but it still had the shrinkrap on it, (he must of cut the side with a knife to get the LP out) and had hardly ever played it, it was prestine and i listened to it a few times then put it to the back of my record box.

over the last few weeks ive immersed myself in it and it must be one of the finest records ive ever heard, not as visceral as any Neils done, not as trippy as Crosby and not as musically impressive as Stills, but this is some perfect songcraft, truly great

anyone whos not familiar with this record really, i cant recommend it enough.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
SugarMountain said:
(he must of cut the side with a knife to get the LP out)
That's how I used to do it. If the liner notes don't say, this site Graham Nash Album song titles & lyrics also identifies the folks helping him; click the title, scroll to bottom, see cast of characters ... Dave Mason, Rita Coolidge, some guy named Garcia ... extraordinary lineup !!

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
SugarMountain said:
nah the linear notes have the players, awesome line up as you say
I wonder if they gathered round to help their friend make sure it was a musical success?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bought this album upon issue, cos I was a rabid CSN&Y fan, with the emphasis on Stills and Young. And cos I liked Military Madness.
I decided at the time that I didn't much care for it - a little of Nash, solo, was way too much. I still regard Nash and Crosby as musical midgets alongside Neil and Stephen.

BUT. It's always a great pleasure to drag out an old piece of vinyl that you didn't care for at the time, and find that you were mistaken. Or perhaps, that your taste in music has changed, or matured, or whatever it does.

A Heineken or two this afternoon, and I'll check it out. And I've just thought; I'll check into Still's "Mannassus" (sp.) album too. Loved that - haven't been there in a long time.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
coastie99 said:
"Mannassus?"
I think it ManAsses. Have a Heinie on me; put it on my account...!

cj

SugarMountain

Reaction score
I do feel Nash is underrated, although its bound to happen when you hang around with Neil and Joni

Manassas has some great moments, both records infact. 'It Doesnt Matter', thats a great one from the first LP and the second albums really funky, i love it

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nope !

Pleasant, but, as a solo performer, I think Graham Nash made a very good Hollie.

On the other hand. Manassas rocks !!! Possibly even more now, than then. I have it spinning right now.

I think it's gonna be a big day !!

Sunday 1000

Kap'n

Reaction score
Personally, I think all of CSN&Y, for the most part, were better apart than together - except for Buffalo Springfield.

Don't know too much of that album, but "Chicago" got a lot of airplay where I was back when I was a kid. Loved the tune, even though I had no idea of what it was about at the time.

I later became a big Abbie Hoffman fan, and got several books autographed, including the relevant-to-the-thread Revolution for the Hell of It. . :D

SugarMountain

Reaction score
well, the first CSN album is stunning, and Deja Vu has its moments...'Almost Cut My Hair', (the way Cros hits those big reverb drenched stabs :D )

but i perhaps agree they all made their best music apart from each other, especially Neil
i also get the impression that they were saving the best tunes for solo records, like they wouldnt share a Killer tune with 3 other guys

drowlins

Reaction score
I was (am) a huge fan of The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and the Hollies. I remember I heard about this new "supergroup" forming in the summer of '68 while at my grandparents place in Florida.
Together or apart, I still love them all. However, the first CS&N album, the double Manassass album the first Crosby/Nash album, and Crosbys' solo album, as well as stills' first solo all stand out as classics to my mind. I still play many of the songs on those albums.(only now in CD form).

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
drowlins said:
I was (am) a huge fan of The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and the Hollies. I remember I heard about this new "supergroup" forming in the summer of '68 while at my grandparents place in Florida.
Together or apart, I still love them all. However, the first CS&N album, the double Manassass album the first Crosby/Nash album, and Crosbys' solo album, as well as stills' first solo all stand out as classics to my mind. I still play many of the songs on those albums.(only now in CD form).

"Stephen Stills"

Do For The Others, and Go Back Home.

YEAH !!!

Kap'n

Reaction score
JerryR said:
Manassas - for the battle - AKA Bull run depending which side you were on :?:

Or, just the town in Virginia, battle or not.

It's pretty creepy walking around that battlefield. Did it once on a foggy day in the springtime. You can walk around, and stop at any particular point where, say a cannon was, and there'll be a sign laying out where the yanks/rebs were hiding behind the stand of trees that are still there, and point out where on the crest of the hill behind you, your group was overtaken, after you ran out of cannonballs/gunpowder/folks to reload.

Then walk out to the muddy creek. They say it ran red for days.

SugarMountain

Reaction score
wow, graham that video is stunning, with Rick Wright too!
what is it about Graham and Cros singing together?, that just makes time stand still for a second