Clark Beaufort

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just have to stop sorting CL for amps. Once again I know nuthin but this is sure purty

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/msg/409227189.html

010205010409010311200708295a422a3ef2e45a1c2500e754.jpg
0102010104020103062007082963875c32ef3d3d51ed00d207.jpg

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff:

I've seen the Beaufort a couple times, never got to plug in. But I do know Michael Clark's work. Snagged a mint Tyger (tweed bandmaster type w/add on 3 knob reverb unit) a couple years ago. Sounds very much like the 2-input tweed bassman I could not afford years ago, but louder. Clark amps are as well made as anything you can find.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Not inexpensive: this one $1,450 on the Gear Page, year unknown Link to Clark Beaufort This one has added effects (?) unit inside cabinet on right:

clark01.jpg

clark02.jpg

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cap:

That link doesn't work, but there is one for 1400 on TGP. Has the 3-knob reverb option built in the back. I believe that's what you're seeing on pic #2. That's a 500 plus option on the Clark website. Luckily, my Tyger came to me with that option installed. It's the best reverb sound I've heard yet.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Michael; Link fixed: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=287225

BTW: How does this strike you: "...Magnatone M-10A Mid-60's 1-12 combo. Amazing sound & effects for blues guitar ...a favorite of Robert Cray's. Outstanding plug & play condition, cosmetically near perfect. Original cover & footswitches.".Craigslist Maggie M-10A

$550 - hour's drive, I could pick it up. The top is injected molded plastic, no?

maggie.jpg

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cap: Now you're getting warm. I own an M10A. Depending on your point of view, it's either the oddest or coolest amp ever. Tonally, a little hard to pin down. Sort of a hot 18-watter (w/7189A tubes, a heavier-duty, higher voltage EL-84 variant) with extras. Mine is in perfect condition, still has the original mullard pre-amp tubes. Came stock with a Jensen C12PS, with "whizzer" cone. I swapped in a more efficient speaker to up the volume, but miss the unique swamp tones from that sweet jensen. Check the harmony central reviews on this. One of them is mine (probably under "Michael D.")

The M10A was my first pick from the suitcase line. Not unmanageable in size and weight, 20 watts or so and some very interesting tone-shaping features. Plenty of volume, a great amp for jams and such, as long as they're not of the cranked twin reverb type. Excellent reverb, plus the always-amazing vibrato. This vibe is somewhat chorusy, more so than other maggies. It can do quiet, clean and sweet, roars and sounds like it'll explode when you crank it. Mine cost more than that. This could be a great deal.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
It started at $650; a little too 'boutique' to attract much attention here in the land of PeaveyCrates; what about the top; how does it attach to the cabinet; what keeps in from pulling away when lifted?

How about them 7189As...yowee...$100/matched pair... :shock:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Cap: forgot to answer your question. The top is molded plastic, with vents. This is a closed back amp, so the heat has to rise. Substantial handle on top. It attaches with two side bolts. The top has aluminum brackets attached internally. A rather sturdy design in day to day use, though it has proven to be a weak point in shipping. (Mine shipped from Texas, no problem. Others have not been so lucky.)

The cord is separate. Female end plugs into the 2 prong male in a small panel at the back of the amp. Not 3-prong, but the amp has two "on" settings, the equivalent of a ground switch. Cord stores in the quite hip vinyl cover (says "Magnatone" on it ...) Best of all, the lucite M lights up when the amp is on.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thanks Michael; there are several '60s-era amps (including one brand that starts with a G but isn't Gibson) that don't ship so good either .... :cry: :cry: