Silvertone Amplifier 1484

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
About $325 - $400 seems to be the going price around here in P-town just for the head or the combo version. Matching cab for another $50 seems fair. $450 mebbe? Those are pretty cool.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Link to recent eBay sale of a 1484 a little under $365: eBay 1484 sale The C/L model looks cleaner, especially chassis and tube deck. For fun; eBay sale of a 1485, the 100 watt model of this amp: recent 1485

There's considerable cost/risk avoidance in the C/L you-pick-it-up; this thing has to weigh 75-100 pounds. Link to schematic: 1484 Schematic Uses a tube-coupled reverb, not transformer/Fender or speaker/Guild and no bypass caps on the cathodes in the preamp. Reviews: Harmony Central 1484 Mostly kids but a few adults; several references to crappy/broken reverb. Might be a real fun amp!

Added pic from a current ebay auction: represents the standard for 'clean':
stonea.jpg

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input fellas, I wasn't expecting quite as much negative heat from my mate, She's just not getting the Tube Amp GAS even a little bit. Where did I go wrong?

My T 5 surely does sound nice thru my instructors 60's Fender, about $4500.00 worth of vintage Fender, really nice.

Phone converation with the seller sort of cooled my fever. Response on the phone disclosed some condition issues his emails glossed over. Minor issues I suppose, missing knobs, a bit more tattered exterior, replaced a transformer a while back, mebbe it's what wasn't said, . Claims he's was 100% firm on the price & the reason for selling this amp replaced with a vintage Fender.

Interesting the Head is hardwired to the Speaker Cab.

Few hot deals go undone here in the NW, this one's been hanging for a while, so for now I'll keep the peace.

Seller left this morning for 30 days out of country upon return he's headed for the East Coast.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
My T 5 surely does sound nice thru my instructors 60's Fender, about $4500.00 worth of vintage Fender, really nice. Some Fender fans might argue that top-notch vintage Fenders can make even beaters sound good.

Interesting the Head is hardwired to the Speaker Cab. Not stock and doesn't have to be hardwired; see added pic - no hard-wiring from lower left of amp as seen from rear not to mention pain in tailpiece try to move 2 units that are umbillically connected.
Maybe she thinks that if you buy an amp, you're going to turn pro - spend time on the road w/ disreputable (but fun) people ... maybe if she were playing your T5 through your instructor's amp or was there to listen to him or you play?

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
not stock, no hard-wiring from lower left of amp as seen from rear not to mention pain in tailpiece try to move 2 units that are umbillically connected.

I figured a simple mod, installing a plug jack would do the trick.

Apparently there's a spot to tuck the head in the bottom of the speaker cab, with clips to hold it in place for storage & transport. I love this tech talk.

d7a0_12.JPG

Far as disreputable associates & Tube amp understanding goes, I figure 30 days of dedicated foot worship will help the cause.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
I figured a simple mod, installing a plug jack would do the trick. Agree; not a big thing but we'uns get suspicious of 'patches'; especially weak ones.

Far as disreputable associates & Tube amp understanding goes, I figure 30 days of dedicated foot worship will help the cause. Don't forget the oil and the toenail polish

J

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
capnjuan said:
Jeff wrote:
I figured a simple mod, installing a plug jack would do the trick. Agree; not a big thing but we'uns get suspicious of 'patches'; especially weak ones.

Far as disreputable associates & Tube amp understanding goes, I figure 30 days of dedicated foot worship will help the cause. Don't forget the oil and the toenail polish

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I played one of these last year. They have a lot of promise. My amp tech said he loves to get his hands on the heads, lots of ways to make it sound even better. It already sounds quite nice. Big, soft crunch. But forget the reverb. It's worse than having none.

Were I to go for one of these, I'd probably prefer to 1483 w/the 15" speaker. Certainly, I'd look for the best condition example I could find. These are not overbuilt fender types ... they don't stand up well to that type of abuse, so you're better going for the best condition possible.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
This is the 1483 model Mad Dog is referring to: eBay auction link: eBay 1483 Seller is mistaken when he says circuits for 1483 and 1484 are the same: 1483 Schematic here They are sort of; same preamp and 6L6 outputs but the 1484 has reverb (when working) and tremolo.

stone1483.jpg