Early Space Missions

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
hideglue's photos from NASA reminded me of a joke from the '60s.

When Russia sent up the first satellite they called it Sputnik.

They also sent the first dog into space and called it Muttnik.

What was the mission called that sent the first man and woman crew into space together?

a Piknik!
:D

Spasiba! I'm here all veek! Try the weel!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guildmark said:
hideglue's photos from NASA reminded me of a joke from the '60s.

Me too, but not exactly one from the '60s:

When Apollo Mission Astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" statement but followed it by several remarks, usual comments about traffic between him, the other astronauts and Mission Control. Just before he re-entered the lander, however, he made the enigmatic remark "Good luck Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet Cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs. Over the years many people questioned Armstrong as to what the "Good luck Mr. Gorsky" statement meant, but Armstrong always just smiled.
Just 3 years ago, (on July 5, 1995 in Tampa Bay FL) while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26 year old question to Armstrong. This time he finally responded. Mr. Gorsky had finally died and so Neil Armstrong felt he could answer the question.
When he was a kid, he was playing baseball with a friend in the backyard.
His friend hit a fly ball which landed in the front of his neighbor's bedroom windows. His neighbors were Mr. & Mrs. Gorsky.
As he leaned down to pick up the ball, young Armstrong heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky. "Oral sex! You want oral sex?! You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hate to spoil anyone's joke but Snopes, a generally reliable source, calls this an urban legend that started circulating in mid-1995. Page above has links to the NASA transcript where, unless you are a big believer in conspiracy theories, you will note that there is no mention of Mr. Gorsky.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I hate to spoil anyone's joke but Snopes, a generally reliable source, calls this an urban legend that started circulating in mid-1995. Page above has links to the NASA transcript where, unless you are a big believer in conspiracy theories, you will note that there is no mention of Mr. Gorsky.

Was aware of that but it doesn't really spoil it for me! True or false, it's a great story!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well this one is a true story because I heard astronaut Alan Shepard tell it himself when I was at a golf outing in Detroit.

He related his experience of hitting golf balls on the moon. It was his idea apparently, and it took some convincing, but the higher ups at NASA finally agreed to let him do it. Then he said "not only was I the first and only man to do this, but I can also say in all honesty that I left my balls on the moon!" :lol:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
fronobulax said:

Ain't Fronobulax a party pooper :!: Next he'll tell us there isn't really a Santa :shock: And if there isn't, who'se elves really make Guild guitars :?:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
drednut said:
Well this one is a true story because I heard astronaut Alan Shepard tell it himself when I was at a golf outing in Detroit.

He related his experience of hitting golf balls on the moon. It was his idea apparently, and it took some convincing, but the higher ups at NASA finally agreed to let him do it. Then he said "not only was I the first and only man to do this, but I can also say in all honesty that I left my balls on the moon!" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
JerryR said:
Ain't Fronobulax a party pooper :!: Next he'll tell us there isn't really a Santa :shock: And if there isn't, who'se elves really make Guild guitars :?:

Every time I'm called a party pooper I cringe and recall the lame joke about the person who gets drunk at the home of a tuba player (which I once was) and wakes up the next morning wondering about a golden toilet seat.

I can't speak for Santa because there are no age requirements for posting on LTG but I have it on good authority that some of the "bad" elves were fired and are now making GADs in China.

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
JerryR said:

I can't speak for Santa because there are no age requirements for posting on LTG but I have it on good authority that some of the "bad" elves were fired and are now making GADs in China.

Offside.png

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
...but I have it on good authority that some of the "bad" elves were fired and are now making GADs in China.
I heard they had issues with the factory dress code, OSHA, and wouldn't check their weapons with plant security:

Elves.jpg