What A Music Filled Weekend

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Last night, my wife and I took in a Phil Keaggy concert. I wasn't real familiar with what Phil plays, but knew he was an outstanding guitarist. My gosh, that was impressive. I saw him do things with an acoustic and a bunch of electronics that I'd never seen. He's start by playing these licks, record them into something up there, then play it back as his rhythm, then play lead, or two leads on top of that. It was incredible.

Tonight was Clint Black. Wow, what a talent. Good guitarist, better songwriter. I always knew Clint Black played the harp, but he may be the best hamonica player I've ever seen. Both great shows.

West

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'll wow 'em allright. I can hear them now......"Wow, and he had the nerve to actually play in front of people?" :shock:

West

Graham

Venerated Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
My gosh, that was impressive. I saw him do things with an acoustic and a bunch of electronics that I'd never seen. He's start by playing these licks, record them into something up there, then play it back as his rhythm, then play lead, or two leads on top of that. It was incredible.

West

I think that's what Jeff's JamMan does. Can't wait for Jeff performance now. :mrgreen: :wink:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think that's what Jeff's JamMan does

Yepp, somehow it doesn't quite sound the same.

Got orders to bring the Jamman to my next lesson. Gonna put several I,IV,IV progressions in, different keys, & play over 9ths, scales & patterns.

I've been avoiding using the darn thing cuz it tells no lies.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
One thing I noticed about Keaggy Jeff. When he'd play his accompanyment, he'd play it several times until he got it just right, then he'd stomp the button on that thing, and play it back. There was one song, if you can follow me here, in which he played something, and it played it back in reverse. He assured us that it wasn't demons or devil worship music. :)

Anyway, sounded great.

West

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
West R Lee said:
Yep, I'll wow 'em allright. I can hear them now......"Wow, and he had the nerve to actually play in front of people?" :shock:

West

Ignore them West - so long as your'e enjoying yourself, what the hell - that's my philosophy :roll: I take comfort in the fact they reckoned Dylan coudn't sing and was a lousy guitarist. He made a great career out of it - of course, I'm still waiting being discovered......... :?

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Phil Keaggy--that's going back. I think I still have a Glass Harp cassette laying around somewhere.

Jeff, I have an original rackmount Lexicon Jamman with the memory upgrade to make it 32 seconds of sampling. Used to use it all the time in some groups in conjunction with an old Digitech delay/samplers. Really really fun. Now, of course, one can buy the new Digitech variation with 24 minutes of sampling for half the cost of the original. Yikes.

Lots of players have discovered these nowadays. I'm pretty sure KT Tunstall uses one to make herself sound like a whole band. It's also fun to use it on vocals. I may use it for a fun spooky Halloween setup for my boys. :D

Which one do you have, Jeff? Is it this one? http://www.digitech.com/products/JamMan/JamMan.htm

I have this one. http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/jamman/jamman.html

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Which one do you have, Jeff? Is it this one? http://www.digitech.com/products/JamMan/JamMan.htm

Yep, that's the very one, my mate gave it to me for Christmas. I actually have about 15% of it's functions figured out.

It's been a useful instruction tool, which expalins why I have avoided using it of late. Monday it's getting dusted off.

And :!: By the way, Search the forum for KT Tunstall, back a while someone posted up a link to her performing with a Starfire.

Red recorded an episode of "Good Morning America" from Monday featuring KT Tunstall.

The traitorus Vixen has taken to playing a Gretsch, but the lead guitar player in her band was playing some sweet riffs with a big Guild archtop.

RussD

Reaction score
Guild Total
JerryR said:
What is the silvery thing she is shown playing on her new CD cover :shock:
http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results. ... de=2297410
And on her website
http://www.kttunstall.com/

From her Guitar Magazine interview:
What acoustic guitar did you play on the album?

I played all the parts on a semi-acoustic, actually, my red ’62 Guild Starfire. It has beautiful striped wood and a Bigsby, which I love. We just put a mic near the f-hole, to get that nice honky sound. My main guitars are the Starfire and the Gibson Dove acoustic I use onstage.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RussD said:
JerryR said:
What is the silvery thing she is shown playing on her new CD cover :shock:
http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results. ... de=2297410
And on her website
http://www.kttunstall.com/

From her Guitar Magazine interview:
What acoustic guitar did you play on the album?

I played all the parts on a semi-acoustic, actually, my red ’62 Guild Starfire. It has beautiful striped wood and a Bigsby, which I love. We just put a mic near the f-hole, to get that nice honky sound. My main guitars are the Starfire and the Gibson Dove acoustic I use onstage.

If only I could put my mic near her f-hole :twisted:

Mr. P ~

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!

Some of us just can't leave it alone can we? :mrgreen:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
KT is scheduled to play here at Seattle's Paramount Theater
Dec 15th.

I wrote her & explained Jerry's, uhhh, condition. She promises to wear the little boots & play the Starfire if Jerry shows up for the show.

1700886-2

Red went to buy tickets & every thing but the back rows in the balcony sold out the first day. Looking at her recent past gigs she's been selling out a few.

Kt Tunstall's playing with some British Isle, Post Grunge band
called Collective Soul. Listened to a couple Collective Soul Youtube bits, so far not too interested in seeing these guys from the cheap seats.

Collective Soul Fans, rather than take offense, link me to their better stuff.

Collective Soul - December (Video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqkPcAzS4Yg

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:
KT is scheduled to play here at Seattle's Paramount Theater
Dec 15th.

I wrote her & explained Jerry's, uhhh, condition. She promises to wear the little boots & play the Starfire if Jerry shows up for the show.

1700886-2

I'll come along and throw my knickers on stage :!: :!: :mrgreen:

Guildmark

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
What's all this I'm hearing about young people throwing Snickers up onto the stage at concerts! Don't they know it's unsanitary?! It's a waste of good candy! Those blasted rock stars are likely to just stomp all over it, and maybe slip an' fall! And then where are you? Law suit!! --- What!! .... What's that? ..... knickers?
Oh. Well that's completely different. :oops:

Nevermind.