1973 M-75 Bluesbird Stereo - how does it work?

Tweedledee

Reaction score
I bought a 1973 Bluesbird last year and I absolutely love it! I got it for a great price because it had a repaired headstock break and a non-original tailpiece, but those things didn't bother me because it's an incredible player with a ton of mojo.

Anyway, I feel like an idiot because all this time I've thought the "Stereo" truss rod cover on it was not original. I didn't know they made stereo Bluesbirds. Today I took off the rear electronics cover, however, and I was shocked - the label says it IS a Bluesbird stereo. So does anybody know how this stereo feature works? I'm assuming I need a stereo cord that splits the signal into two and then I plug each of those outputs into separate amps (or both inputs of a stereo amp). Is this correct? Does anybody use the stereo feature and find it worth the extra effort?

Here are some pictures, just for fun!

bbird2.jpg

bbird3.jpg

guild11.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
On the stereo guitars I have seen in the past the neck pup is one side of the stereo plug (tip) and the bridge pup is the other (barrel). You plug in a stereo plug to the guitar and then make or buy a Y cord to feed to a amp on your right and a amp on your left.

You may also consider picking up a Guild 200-S amp for the same function. This amp also comes with a stereo input.

M

Tweedledee

Reaction score
guildzilla said:
That's a beauty guitar, Tweedledee.

Why five knobs? Is the extra pot related to the stereo feature?

Thanks! It's a master volume. I think all the Bluesbirds from that era had them - not just the stereo ones.

matsickma

Reaction score
As I look at this guitar I just realized the Stop is different for guitars of that era. Looking closely I notice the reminants of two old mounting holes from the diagonal tail piece. I must admit I like the look of the new stop on this guitar. Is the finish cherry red?

M

Tweedledee

Reaction score
matsickma said:
As I look at this guitar I just realized the Stop is different for guitars of that era. Looking closely I notice the reminants of two old mounting holes from the diagonal tail piece. I must admit I like the look of the new stop on this guitar. Is the finish cherry red?

M

Yes, the tailpiece is not original. It's one of the reasons that the guitar was so inexpensive. I like the look of it too, but sometimes I wish it had the original trapezoid one.

I'm not entirely sure what the finish is actually called, but it certainly looks cherry red.

matsickma

Reaction score
The Guild NOS diagonal Stops are still available from the ebay seller "aiguitar". However it may be a moot point since the new Stop was more evasive than the stock unit.

M

danerectal

Reaction score
The Guild NOS diagonal Stops are still available from the ebay seller "aiguitar". However it may be a moot point since the new Stop was more evasive than the stock unit.
Beware the chrome ones sold by "aiguitar", they only fit Guilds made after the introduction of the S-300. The screw spacing is too wide. I bought a 1970 with the exact same stop-bar on it, and when I tried the chrome tailpiece, I couldn't get it to lay flush to the guitar with the screws through it. I bought a few of the chrome and gold. The gold ones fit this era Guild. If anyone needs either of them send me a pm.