Sound Musical Instruments Amplifiers

Mark51

Reaction score
Anybody here ever play through a Sound Amp? I picked up a Sound X-305R Amp a few months back. I had one back in about '68. They were only made for a couple of years. Two guys left Ampeg and started the company. Circuit design was alot like Ampeg. Used 7868 power tubes and 12AX7's in the preamp. Heavy duty cabinets in gray tolex with silver grills. This one has a C15N in it and makes a nice jazz amp with the 7868's.

They also made a small amp like the Princeton Reverb but it used el84's. I'd like to try one of those sometime. Anybody ever see one? In fact, if any of you know about the company or the amps, drop me a pm. I would be interested in any info about them. Thanks.

Mark

99 SSF-4
~99 BB

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Mark51: I can't say that I know the make; maybe someone else will.

Regards,

cj

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Mark51; you must be a genie or sumpthin'; 'Sound' amp chassis on eBay, set up for 7868s, Might be your old amp? :shock: eBay Auction Link

soundamp.jpg

What do they say on TV; 'some assembly required'? Nice user-friendly board layout; polyester caps (?) a Guild favorite, carbon comp resistors, some changes in cathode caps, both tranformers present, and except for the bent corners, the faceplate including lettering is in good condition. I did a quick Google; found bupkis on Sound amps; without schematic, might be hard to tell what's missing.... cj

Mark51

Reaction score
What timing!!

I actually know that guy. He is an amp nut like me and has a couple dozen assorted makes in the basement. I just got a 505R from him and while I was there he showed me that chassis. He picked it up on e-bay for $75 a couple years ago.

Guess I'll e-mail him and say "Hi" just for fun. I should buy it for spare parts for mine.

Mark