Ummm.. Likely the cleanest looking Silvertone on the planet

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good golly gents, she's a beaut !!! Has to be a restoration job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TWEED-SILVERTONE-14 ... dZViewItem

b00c_12.JPG

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I could have done w/o the epaulets but otherwise very appealing; tweed - a gentleman's fabric....

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
'Designer' touch; not on originals.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Doesn't look like the braces were part of the original design. Not a bad idea to brace the cabinet, but if'n it was me I would have braced the cab from the inside, providing the chassis left enough room.

Course if it was me building the cabinet I'd a built it out of hardwood & wouldn't have needed braces. Would have been a bit heavier & surely cost a few $ more in the 60's, might just have survived a trip to NZ :?

53f0_1.JPG

Not all amp cabinets are created equal, for instance this Guild Aspen I couldn't turn down a while back. Wouldn't guarantee it'd survive a sharp bump from a forklift on it's way to NZ, odds would be better. I believe it's Oak, dovetailed top & bottom. Cab was the reason I bought it.

Not the greatest Acoustic amp, considering what I paid, not bad, unfortunate it's full of transistors & not tubes. You'll notice there are no rips in the tolex.

ec57b475.jpg

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
Doesn't look like the braces were part of the original design. Not a bad idea to brace the cabinet, but if'n it was me I would have braced the cab from the inside, providing the chassis left enough room. Ok on one side, not the other; carpenters who want to go to heaven take the cabinet apart and reglue it or they drill several 1/4" holes and dowel/glue; after all, it's gonna get covered.
Course if it was me building the cabinet I'd a built it out of hardwood & wouldn't have needed braces. Agree except you couldn't sell 'em in a mail-order catalog.
Would have been a bit heavier & surely cost a few $ more in the 60's, might just have survived a trip to NZ :? Maybe, but only maybe...
...this Guild Aspen I couldn't turn down a while back...I believe it's Oak, dovetailed top & bottom. Cab was the reason I bought it. Handsome !

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeezy Peezy - Death Valley Days!!! Ya be the Old Ranger?

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Been watching this one for a few days - $451 with 1 day and 22 hours to run.

Wish I'd never seen the damn' thing; gives me ideas for my own (yet to be shipped) Salivatone 1482.

Might go for Rough Blonde (who wouldn't ?) Tolex though, and I think that Oxblood chickenheads might just be the biz.

I'd give those damn-fool flapdoodle things a miss, though !

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a beauty coastie! Hope you snag it. As I mentioned to Jeff in another thread, I always wanted one of those.
coastie99 said:
Might go for Rough Blonde
I do, however, have one of these. She makes it tough to feed the GAS.

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
jp said:
That's a beauty coastie! Hope you snag it. As I mentioned to Jeff in another thread, I always wanted one of those.
coastie99 said:
Might go for Rough Blonde
I do, however, have one of these. She makes it tough to feed the GAS.

JP.

I have recently bought a Salivatone 1482 on Ebay; Cap'n Juan's just finished some work under the hood, and fitted a Celestion Blue.
I was perfectly happy till I saw this current item under discussion. When my Salivatone 1482 hits Newsyland, it might just receive similar treatment. I actually have no intention of bidding for this one.

Have you heard one of these little suckers perform ?

Go here.......................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzK8rKQbW6A

Check out the tremelo !!

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Might go for Rough Blonde (who wouldn't ?) Tolex though, and I think that Oxblood chickenheads might just be the biz.

Blonde is doing for me as well.

I came within a knats whisker of dropping $650 on a new Blues Deluxe yesterday. Just about gave in to convenience. Never noticed till you mentioned it Gary, darn thing has black knobs.

On the return trip from my bass adventure I took the long way home & spent few hours Wed touring a few local Vintage gear hangouts. The shops here have dozens of the old tube amps at ridicilous prices. Every one em sick to one degree or another, looking like a Salvation Army Thrift store.

Got "Guitar Maniacs" down to 350 for an Airline 62 9031A, couldn't get it to stop popping & cracking, & howling long enough to really hear it so I passed.

GC in Tacoma has one of these used about 6 mo old for $449, perfect in every way. Tempting, verrry tempting it was.

Fender Blues Deluxe
Mass produced in Mexico I believe
2232200000_xl.jpg

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jeff said:

Blonde is doing for me as well.

I came within a knats whisker of dropping $650 on a new Blues Deluxe yesterday. Just about gave in to convenience. Never noticed till you mentioned it Gary, darn thing has black knobs.

On the return trip from my bass adventure I took the long way home & spent few hours Wed touring a few local Vintage gear hangouts. The shops here have dozens of the old tube amps at ridicilous prices. Every one em sick to one degree or another, looking like a Salvation Army Thrift store.

Got "Guitar Maniacs" down to 350 for an Airline 62 9031A, couldn't get it to stop popping & cracking, & howling long enough to really hear it so I passed.

GC in Tacoma has one of these used about 6 mo old for $449, perfect in every way. Tempting, verrry tempting it was.

Fender Blues Deluxe
Mass produced in Mexico I believe
2232200000_xl.jpg

Jeff.

You're an "alternative / under-doggy (?) kinda guy; hence your Guild affliction.

Don't buy "mainstream". You were on the right track with the Airline.

http://www.myrareguitars.com/robergeamps.html

john_kidder

Reaction score
Jeff said:

Well, good heavens, a 20 mule team right here in Guildland. Dig out that borax and whiten them shirts. This board is just full of surprises, and startlingly clear memories of things that would otherwise be entirely forgotten. Thanks, Jeff.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
reagan.jpg

Hi everyone; it's me, the Old Ranger ... just got back from Farkaluma hauling of load of bat guano out to the cannabis farmers ... Whew; mighty dry out there ... not a Heinie in sight for many a mile ... saw some injuns on the reservation all standing around selling each other smokes ... dangdest thing ... out in Farkluma, they got this bar, had a band the night I was there...some group named Buster Hymen and the Firehoses ... place was strangely damp ...

They had one guy in Spandex; playin through a Silvertone 1482; old sweaty whore sitting next to me said the guy had some kinda imported speaker or some such in it ... I bought her Heinie anyway ... man, a lot there to love ... This guitar player started his stuff and, the music ..well ... pushy thumpin' bottom, warm/mellow in the mids, and edgy, screamin' highs ... I thought I had died and gone to the (Millard) Fillmore ... After a coupla more Heinies, I got up to go the water closet. I got there and danged if there wasn't a guy all dressed up like a Pink Panther ... I liked to lose my bowels right there... sheesh - what on earth???

Said he owned that amplifier; a talkin' Pink Panther ownin' an amplifier? Are you kiddin' me? Anyway, lookin' now for loads to haul out there ... that whore was nice to me...

The Old Ranger

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
coastie99 said:
Have you heard one of these little suckers perform?

Yeah I have coastie. I had a buddy who used to play through one with an old Danelectro. What a great sound! Someday I may grab one. I need to get rid of some unnecessary gear first, or the "rough blond" gonna go ballistic.

And as for you Old Ranger. . . I gotta go party with you! :wink:

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
capnjuan said:
Hi everyone; it's me, the Old Ranger ... just got back from Farkaluma hauling of load of bat guano out to the cannabis farmers ... Whew; mighty dry out there ... not a Heinie in sight for many a mile ... saw some injuns on the reservation all standing around selling each other smokes ... dangdest thing ... out in Farkluma, they got this bar, had a band the night I was there...some group named Buster Hymen and the Firehoses ... place was strangely damp ...

They had one guy in Spandex; playin through a Silvertone 1482; old sweaty whore sitting next to me said the guy had some kinda imported speaker or some such in it ... I bought her Heinie anyway ... man, a lot there to love ... This guitar player started his stuff and, the music ..well ... pushy thumpin' bottom, warm/mellow in the mids, and edgy, screamin' highs ... I thought I had died and gone to the (Millard) Fillmore ... After a coupla more Heinies, I got up to go the water closet. I got there and danged if there wasn't a guy all dressed up like a Pink Panther ... I liked to lose my bowels right there... sheesh - what on earth???

Said he owned that amplifier; a talkin' Pink Panther ownin' an amplifier? Are you kiddin' me? Anyway, lookin' now for loads to haul out there ... that whore was nice to me...

The Old Ranger

Jeez Cap'n !

You mainlining that Stolli ??