Guilds most RARE amp. What are your opnions?

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi All,

I posed this question at the tail end of a earlier post. Thought it might me best to have it as a stand alone item.

What Guild amp do you think is the most rare of them all? (I'll provide my un-scientific study answer after I receive some of your inputs. I am basing my answer on the fact that I have NEVER seen one.)

Thanks to SFIII for his earlier post and a vote for the Superbird Amp.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Mike; I'll pass. I can't confirm that I know of / have seen pics of the entire product line - would be like trying to remember something I never knew. Looking forward to your best guess.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi All,

Sorry to have dropped out of sight for a while. I have been doing a bit of traveling and when not on the road I am dealing with Due Dilligence on the divestature of my group from the parent $40B company to a new buyer. Since I needed to post pictures in my answer it all took longer.

Any way...my non scientific vote is based upon the fact that I never have seen one beyond the advertising literature.

My vote for the most rare Guild amp that went into production is: the 1966-67 Super Thunderbird. It is illustrated in the Hi-5 catelog and appears on the front cover and on page 5. The pictures are shown below.

Now for another pop quiz...In terms of rare there is even another amplifier made by Guild that may be the most rare of them all. This is because eventhough Guild illustrated it in a few places it never went into a production release. There may be a few prototypes out there but that is only a guess. Answer to follow with some speculation about the amp.

Note to GofG. Your suggestion of the Model 7 may be a good one. However I was only thinking about tube amps. I failed to state that criteria.

Guild_1967_Amps.jpg

Guild_1967_SuperTBird_Amp.jpg

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
No no, not the dreaded 8417's! :lol:
+/- $100/pr if can be found and, like the prize in a box of CrackerJacks, ..... a 6BM8! "...16-tube performance with its 9 tubes...!" :? :?

matsickma

Reaction score
OK. The Guild amp that never made it to production but showed up on the cover of an amp flyer and advertisment isthe Guild Seven-Forty-Seven Amp. This amp can be seen in the center back of two of the images I posted.

I speculate that this amp was a special piggyback amp design that used the cabinet of a Super Star / Thunderstar amp but had two 10" speakers. The upper piggyback was mounted on a 2-15 cab. I speculate this amp was to be the most powerful guitar amp Guild made. I speculate that Guild chose the name based on the Boeing 747 jumbo jet. The 747 was launched in 1969 and the amp flyer was from 1969. On the 3rd picture I posted it appears you can see the 2-10 in speakers and some view thru the grill cloth of the power amp section.

I know I am doing a lot of speculation so you need totake that into account.

Guild_1969_Amps.jpg

Guild_1969_Amps1.jpg

Guild_1969_Amps2.jpg

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Mike; I think you'd know better than any of us which Guild amps were built, advertised, and sold. I've never spent any time going over adver lit but if you hadn't pointed it out, I don't think I'd have ever known anything about the 747; thank you. cj

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey cj, I think I have to take a couple of roadtrips, one to the Jersey shore to see the famous Guild Museum and to see matsickma's menagerie.

I bring the beer!

gilded

Reaction score
Man, I want one of those amplifier dollies for my ThunderStar!!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
Hey cj, I think I have to take a couple of roadtrips, one to the Jersey shore to see the famous Guild Museum and to see matsickma's menagerie. I bring the beer!
The man has some serious Guild amps and the literature on the ones he doesn't!. I'll bring the chips... cj

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would of had a Super Bird but the danm thing was just too freakin' big!

First, I don't think it would fit in the car.

Second, I don't know how I'd get it up the stairs to my condo.

Third, no room for it in the condo!

Had to let it go.

It sold for $200!

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
New BBer threaded a 2X15" Quantum #? cabinet he came across; pic looked like it was as big as a 5-drawer chest-of-drawers. Most condo associations have rules about explosive devices in the units, don't they? I mean, if you'd gotten it in and fired up, you'd be fixin' your drywall and the other guy's too.... :shock: :shock: cj

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey GoG,

Tell me about your chance at a Superbird? There are two sizes. Mine is the smaller one with 2-12" JBL's. It sounds like you had a shot at a 2-15 model. The 2-15 model came with a larger power amp section. Both used the same head.

How long ago did you come across it? Where did you see it? (NJ Craigs list?)

M

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi cap and Default,

Well I think GoG likely has his gear pretty well organized. Mine is scattered all over the basement. I just began to organize the stuff on one side of the basement in anticipation of a basement remodeling project. I'll see if I can get a picture of my menagerie room. I'm sure it will scare you away!

I am still on the road. I'll try to borrow a wide angle lense for a shot.

M

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Default said:
I have teenage boys who want to drive.
Get used to some long nights - might want to look into some Sominex ... it's a right of passage ... for them and you! cj