Gretsch Playboy

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just what I needed, another complication to keep my head spinning. Pretty soon I'll jump on something & you'se can have your topic back.

They sure enough want a Kings price for these new & Ebay used prices normally a grand or better.

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :WNA:US:12

fcb7_12.JPG

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yup; that or more...looked for schemo, didn't find.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Sold for $1,025. 'spensive...gulp but not as 'spensive as the Martin amp;

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup, checking history on these bout what they've been selling for,

New they seem to go for $1800 to $2300, somebody must like em. Cute as a bug they are.

Not much chance of finding one local to play neither.

S"okay, I got an interesting e mail response from the fellas up at Aviator Guitars & Audio in Edmonds.

Likely go up an look at the GA 20 between now & Arlington, Not priced all that much less.

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Jeff said:
... Likely go up an look at the GA 20 between now & Arlington, Not priced all that much less.
No, not really.

Gibson GA20s; there are several models carrying the '20' tag:
GA20: 4 X 6SL7, 2 X 6V6, 5Y3 rectifier no trem / no verb.
GA20T: 12AX7, 12AY7, 5879, 6SQ7, 2X6V6, 5Y3 rectifier trem/no verb
GA20RVT: 3 X 6EU7, 2 X 12AU7, 2 X 6BQ5 output, ss recitifer trem/;verb; this would be a later series, likely a 'Crest' model; the 20 and 20T likely 'tweed' from early 60s; if so would look something like this;

GA1903left.jpg

Called tweed; it's clear vinyl with a patterned cotton backing and, unlike Fender tweed, not available on the after-market. If a 'Crest' (the little coat of arms above the 'G' in the logo) model; likely to look something like this:

ga1902.jpg

Both pics are GA19RVTs. The 6BQ5 (20RVT) is similar to the EL84 - this is good and bad. IRRC, the 6BQ5 is no longer supported by mfrs thus anything available is NOS but the EL84 is plentiful athough the tube has its detractors; said by knowledgeable people to be a little on the 'sterile' side; not really have the 'warmth' of lower power 6V6s or the slightly higher power 5881s / 7591s. Never had the pleasure w/ an EL84 amp myself so I can't comment.

As a final note; Gibson made changes 'on the fly' and some models, like the GA19, often have 'tweed' cosmetics but the circuit of a 'crest' (6CA4 reverb operator) and some 'crest' models have crest cosmetics but 'tweed' circuits (7199 reverb operator) - a charming nuisance for hobbyists, not a problem for pros.

cj