playing with the kids

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Starting this week, I'll be playing & singing with the Sunday school kids again on Sunday mornings. I haven't done this for a few years, someone decided that singing with cd's would be better :roll: and with a new children's ministry director on board, they've finally come to their senses...

Years ago, this is the first group I played solo in front of when I decided to take the Guild out of the house. Just a bunch of little kids, but I gotta tell you, my knees were knockin' :shock:

Turns out, they were one of my favorite groups to play for: energetic, appreciative, enthusiastic, they love to sing :D

I'm really looking forward to getting this gig going again - I believe everyone deserves live music! And frankly, I get as much out of it as they do, maybe even more :D

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it's great dreadnut. Playing in front of kids is a blast. One of the funnest gigs I ever played was for a kids Halloween party at a big metropolitan library. There were about 150 kids all dressed up. An upright bass player friend of mine called me up last minute to see if I wanted to do it. We got together a bunch of spooky kid-friendly rock tunes like Boris the Spider The Who (of course), Human Fly by The Cramps, and the all-time favorite, The Monster Mash. The kids loved it. The best part was that they were completely without judgment, and they were so enthusiastic to do whatever you asked them. Hokey Pokey for the fifth time? No problem! "Okay kids, jump up and down like jumping beans" or "make a scary face" or "howl like a werewolf!" What a blast! Pay wasn't bad either. Super fun and highly recommended!

Check out our local kid band here. A pirate band--pure genius. Captain Bogg and Salty. They're like rock stars out here and draw really well. Last time I saw them, there were about 500 people there. Whole families come dressed up as pirates---ARRRGGGH!

Default said:
A gig is a gig, right? :D
For a working musician that's totally true. I've also learned over the years that as a musician, the less seriously you take yourself the better musician you become. . . and you have way more fun!.

john_kidder

Reaction score
Playing for kids, singing with kids, getting them up and going with noise and action, is my very best kind of fun.

Whem my kids were little, lo these many years ago, I used to drop in at their elementary school and tell stories to the class, and I always read scary stories/sang scary songs at the Hallowe'en event. Last night at the Jericho Folk Club, my favourite open stage in Vancouver, I ran into a woman who used to be my daughter's Grade 2 teacher - she told me that having me, a parent, visit and tell a story or two was the best possible relief whe ever got. And I still get stopped sometimes on the street by young men and women who say things like "Hey, you're [Julia/Kendall]'s Dad - you [told those great camel stories/sang that wierd vampire song]."

Go get 'em, Dred. It's good for you, will reaffirm your faith in the essential goodness of human nature, the kids will have a grand time, and they'll remember you long afterwards.